Rare Elto Outbard midget flat-tail race car

Half-price; first $12,500 takes it

The McQuinn Elto Outboard, built by my Dad, (whoprofessionally built and restored some 200 race cars, mostly midget race cars, fora living, at his well-known, Raceway Garage, since 1937! When these cars wereCURRENT race cars..), some 35 years ago, is one of the prettiest pre-war flattail design, midget cars you will ever see, and has a rebuilt VERY rare Eltooutboard engine & NEW right angle gear box (in and out box).

Would be an EASY 25K car, (just for the LABOR & partsinvolved.)but needs re-chroming (of some parts that unfasten in minutes...Thecurrent chrome is 35 years old-). As you can see, the body & paint areoutstanding. All metal, no fiberglass, all correct-period parts, and periodmodifications (like the -narrowed Ford Model T rear, and brakes and frontaxles, that were used in these midget race cars.)

Note the attention to detail, suc as the firewall and enginecompartment etc.

I have included 3 additional photos with red-text date, justtaken today.

In the photos, see the base of the radiator shell, whichunscrews from the shell itself, in minutes, and some other outer chrome parts that easily come off and on, withsimple hand tools. Very Easy parts to send out for inexpensive, re-chrome, Morethan compensated for, by the extremely low price of this great car. Virtual Give-awayprice *WAS**only 17.5k. and now lowered even more, for bargain clearance-) Haswon numerous trophies at car shows, and was a feature car in a racing magazineabout 30 years ago?? Harry McQuinn won three different championships at threedifferent Chicago area race tracks pre-war. He was known as a brutallyagressive driver, so MUCH so, that some drivers threatened to boycott racetracks if they allowed McQuinn to run. *Since he knew every dirty trick therewas, they eventually made him Cheif Steward at Indianapolis! (no one could getanything past him..) One of our 5 other Elto racers is RUNNING at aTheFountainhead Auto Museum, in Fairbanks, Alaska, and they are having a ballRUNNING it.

One of BEST features (to ME..) is that each set of front orrear wheels can be picked up by two strong guys, and loaded in a REGULAR fullsize pick-up truck bed, and you don't even need a trailer! with rear wheelssitting half-way onto the tail gate..and front tires resting agains front wallof pick-up bed..

These very rare and odd two cycle racing engines,(uprightcrankshafts, right angle gear box, and avery lightweight car with an engine one person can walk around with! have anincredible loud and smoky sound. Very successsful type in the 1930s.. Draws acrowd wherever you take it.

See the Vidoes of running one of our Other outboard midgets:

Southwest Chrome Spl Elto

post-62094-14314253371_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533713_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533715_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533717_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533719_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533723_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533724_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533726_thumb.jpg

post-62094-143142533728_thumb.jpg

Edited by memaerobilia
price change (see edit history)

Hi Keiser31;

I, too, find the upside-down Duesenberg bumper, interesting. I believe the close up of that photo, shows a 1951 License plate. Photo was taken outside my Dad's well known Bronx NY, Raceway Garage. Don't know if somebody at the shop put it on that way, or if it was AT the shop to have it put back the right way? Along with all the race cars Dad built, he built and worked on all types of customs, and exotics, and Classics from 1937-1990. Made a rear-drive Cord with Chevy 409 engine, Put a Duesenberg engine in a stretched Auburn Speedster, and even faired in the wheels on the famous Land Speed Car, "The Bluebird," and won various trophies at major auto shows like the World's Motor sSpots show in NY, and others. You can see some of them on my website: www.memaerobilia.com

*But Meanwhile.. I MUST Sell These last two of the 38 vintage race cars that we did together, that I had kept as favorites.

Due to very poor health situation, and potential moving to smaller quaters, I NEED to get these sold. so I am VERY flexible. They are NOW at approx half! what we used to sell similar cars for in the 80s. SOMEbody, come and give them a good home...and have a great time with them. They draw the biggest part of most car show crowds, every time..This Elto and the terific very REAL 37 racer with great history and provenance and documentation, the Granite State Spl sprinter-two time Championship, cover and centespread feature car.

Edited by memaerobilia
typos (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest casey'strucksalvage

I am very interested in the Elto Midget Race Car that you have advertised here.

Can you please confirm that it is still available and tell me where the car is currently located?

I would also appreciate a telephone number where you can be reached to discuss the car further.

I look forward to your response and obtaining more information about the car.

Thanking you in advance,

Bill Davies

Hello Bill; Thank you for your interest.

Car s likely sold, but waiting until it is piccke up, before marking as sold. In Florida Panhandle 9Central Time zone) Have emaild you with phone number.

I STILL have the Granite State spl very REAL, Original pre-war flat tail sprinter with tons of documentation, for sale,at about half price, I have sold "lesser" cars at.

• 5 months later...
Guest bradttinkle

I know I am very late in responding to this post. I only came across this site recently. I also see from the last post it was likely sold. I would still be interested in this one if there is anyway to get in touch with the new owner. I am the great grandson of Harry McQuinn and my son has just gotten into racing himself. It would wonderful to have this in our family. Thanks