"Warming" Up To Michigan

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Wow! I think I'm starting to like it here. I've attended a few car shows this year. Had a good time with those. Visited the Gilmore Museum. AMAZING experience. But it was last night that I experienced something I've heard about but never gotten to take part in. A good, old fashioned, unorganized, CRUISE-IN. And on historic Woodward Avenue no less.

My Wife and I found a listing for a weekly cruise-in right off of Woodward in Berkley on 12 Mile Road at an A&W drive in. We headed over there in our '52 and had some great burgers. There were only about 5 or 6 cars there and after eating we pulled over by them and joined their owners in a circle of chairs. Had some great conversations. I was heartily welcomed to the area and educated in the best of the local weekly cruises. One of which was happening right down the road at Sam's Shell Station on Woodward. We talked with our new friends til' around dusk, then flipped the lights on and headed down Woodward to the Shell.

We pulled in and were immediately swamped with fellow car guys and gals. I spent the next two hours talking about my car and swapping stories with my kind of people. There was a constant flow of cars of all years, types, and makes cruising down Woodward and stopping at the Shell. I can truly say that I felt at home in this atmosphere. It was an experience I won't soon forget. The station closes right around 11 and when they shut out the lights it was time to go. We cruised down Woodward surrounded by classics. We had a BLAST and can't wait to try out some of the other local cruise-ins. I wish we had gotten more pictures but we were so busy talking we simply FORGOT. The only picture was taken by my Wife at the A&W. She wanted a picture of the sign. I'll try to make it a point to get some pictures next time.

post-75106-143142531742_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

In my humble opinion, the " driving season" in the north is made all that more special because of the harsh winters. And Michigan is doubly blessed with harsh winters and a lot of folks related to the motor vehicle industry. Triple blessed when you toss in the land and sceanery.

Guest Rob McDonald

Here in Edmonton, there's a main drag called Whyte Avenue, which also includes an A&W drive-in. An impromptu Cruise-In happens every nice summer Friday and Saturday night. While it's mostly tuner cars that participate, there is always a smattering of hot rods and restored classics rolling back and forth. It's low speed fun, with a sound track played by megaphone exhaust pipes and boom-boom-booming stereos.

Michigan, A great place to be in the summer... And a great place to be a Snowbird and fly away from in the Winter. Glad to hear you guys are having a good time out there. Will we see you at the Eyes On Design show? I was a spectator last year, And had an invite this year. Will be hanging out with Larry for a few days, Would be nice to catch up with you folks. :cool: Leaving Shot gun Annie at home with Charlie the wonder dog to guard the place. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

When we went to the 2003 Centennial Meet in Flint, I was driving toward Flint. I took an exit in Livonia for a Wendy's . . . which was across the street from the T-bird/Lincoln plant. From the street, I'd wondered what all of those TALL trees were hiding! That's when I realized that there are LOTS of car "places" between Detroit and Flint which are a part of the larger GM operations. Probably same with Ford and, to a lesser extent, Chrysler.

As many of the employees of "The Big Three+" were deeply involved with the car hobby, many of them have "neat stuff". The Chrysler Employees car club group has a large show at the Chrysler Museum venue (now closed except for special events as this). AND . . . as a result of "the harsh winters", many of their vehicles were "in storage" until the warmer months of the year.

Basically . . . prepare for sensory overload . . . compared to what you might be used to. The smell of "high test gasoline" and "rubber" in the air can be quite nice on Woodward Avenue this time of the year, I suspect!

Have fun and keep us posted on your experiences!

Enjoy!

NTX54657

Guest shadetree77

Dave and Larry,

I'll definitely be at the Eyes On Design show Sunday. We'll have to meet up at some point. Looking forward to it. Is Roberta going too?

. . . prepare for sensory overload . . .

Wiilis, my thoughts exactly as I stood in the parking lot of Sam's Shell on Woodward surrounded by car guys young and old, contemplating just how many car related activities and historic automotive places there are to see here. This will be a Summer I won't soon forget.

• 1 month later...

I have to add my kudos for the Gilmore Museum.Being an old hotrodder from the Dearborn era in the fifties, I really enjoyed the hot rod exhibit put together by Dennis Lesky. Many cars there I saw or was involved with back then. The little Deuce coupe was built by my friend Chile Catallo and I helped him pull it out of the weeds to begin construction in 1957. I drove it to high school with a coat hanger through the firewall to work the throttle. Chili was too young for a license. He was only fifteen when he got the car. His parents bought a grocery store from my parents. Anyhow the campus at the Gilmore is spectacular.

I finally sold the house and moved the wife here last week. She's not real thrilled to leave Wisconsin, but I'm sure thrilled to be here. Even after last winter, the weather is still milder than Wisconsin (less wind). I'm also looking forward to the Dream Cruise.

Guest shadetree77

Larry,

If all goes well me and the missus will be there with our '52. From what I understand the Buick Party/Display is at the Durant/Dort Carriage Building on Water Street. Set up starts at 6 AM and the show lasts til' 5 PM. I also talked to Jacob Gilbert from the Sloan Gallery. He said he'd be there with the Buick Bug and 6 other Buicks from the Gallery. Should be a great time.

If the price tag of $65,00 is correct then that's cheap!!!!

You wouldn't find a vacant block of land here for that price..............maybe I could make that my "holiday House"during our winter in OZ when it's summer there........................well I can dream can't I ;)