Information wanted about my 1929 130 Franklin ???

rustrodsrule

I own a 29 130 and it does not have louvers in the hood and the dash is oval not the square type. I do think it is a 135/137. I do not know but it is different from my 29.

10 /15 years ago it cost $35000.00 for the body. $4500.00 for the interior . And about $6000.00 for some engine work. I did most of the mechanicals myself and it took close to 2 years.

It was worth every penny and tim,e spent. We have more fun in and with that car and the Franklin club than should be allowed. I am now doing a 32 sedan. Join the sickness it is worth it!!

does anybody know why that is? I have a 29 130 with a smooth hood and an oval dash. I have thought that the lovers and different dash make the 135/137 models.

Is this an option that was available. For all models? Was it different times of the year. Maybe cold weather /warm climate areas? 29 was the BIG year for Franklin so I do not think it would have been use what they had mode yet like 32. I have only seen 1 other oval dash so far. Any ideas???

Dick, If you check your parts book you will find the "so called oval Dash" used up to serial number 30-189551-L-11 and the rectangular dash used after that in 130 models. The hoods are the same but with different ending serial numbers.

Bill

Guest groinky

I've also got a 1929 Model 130 with louvres in the hood and the rectangular dash. I also note that your ignition switch is mounted in the wrong position.

Originally the coil was mounted under the dash with the key mechanism on the end sticking thru the empty hole on your dash panel.

The cigar lighter went in the hole now used for the ignition switch. Good luck. You have a great car.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I have a pair of 1929 Franklins, both 137's. Neither are as "together" as your car. I suggest getting yours running and driving and having some fun with the car. I doubt the car will ever be worth a whole ton of money. Us Franklin guys know that it is one of the few "affordable" classics but the bargain buys both a neat car and a great group of people who share comaradery and spirit, which keeps the club (which you should join!) interesting and fun. Plus, as you will find, the cars are absolutely wonderful on the road. Congratulations on an enviable inheritance and welcome to the Franklin fold!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidlamphere

I have a 1929 Model 135 with the square dash. Yours looks like a 5 passenger to me with the rear fender cut out in the door.

Mine has dual side-mounts and the emergency brake on the left making access difficult. It also has wire wheels.

post-101430-143142578689_thumb.jpg

post-101430-143142578689_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aircooledcars

If the engine has not been started in many years, you will want to drop the oil pan and check the clearance on the lower end of the engine. The oil pan on the 1920 Model 130 doesn't want to come out easily. Can you remove the tie rod and gain enough clearance to drop the pan or what is the secret to removing the pan without removing the engine? thanks