Help with classic car parts

Guest Doreen

Reading back on this thread and reading your response #2...to me seeker your are the sharp old car guy!!!! Not sure if your old in age but you are sharp!!! Thanks again for all your help over the last few months!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm actually just shy of 40. Will be there in just over a week. My wife says I live eat and breath old cars. I guess she must be right. :)

I also sell NOS parts for a living and alot of them you have to ID this way just by sight. After a while you get pretty good at guessing.

It's fun as most of your parts have been very visual. A quick glance and you can hit the era and maybe even the manufacture then just have to narrow it down from there. This panel looks 50-54 era to me (the gray one I said to rotate for another photo, the image won't copy and paste now) and GM or Mopar is where I would start. Then just Google image search from there.

If you can stand this one up and get a photo from the back it looks like a tail panel corner but from the angle I can't quite see how the tail light opening looks. attachment.php?attachmentid=257377&d=1404837633&thumb=1
Off hand, I'd say right rear quarter tail section. If not a '51-'52 Chevrolet, then an earlie fifties Chrysler.

seeker....is this the 48 cadi tail fin you saw on the pick-up? It does look like it was cut off a large piece of sheet metal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]254396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]254397[/ATTACH]

thanks Doreen

Oh and the black box on the pick up was posted earlier and I was told it was a radio for a 37 buick...not sure how that got back of truck

I've studied these pictures for a while now and I think I might possibly know where this piece may have originated. I know that this is going to sound crazy to most of you, but here goes: There was a Hudson dealer in Chicago who did more business than any other Hudson dealer in the nation. His volume was so great that the factory let him get away with all sorts of eccentric promotions. He had "Cadillac" tailfins made to mount on some of the '48 - '50 Hudson Step-Downs that he sold new. I've only encountered Hudson's that were so equipped a couple of times over the years, and I'll tell you they were odd looking. I've never seen one of the conversion pieces off of a car, but I think that this is just about what I would have expected them to look like.

Do any of you remember seeing Caddy fins and tail lights on a Hudson?

Bleach, the Caddy tail light fins that I'm referring to used the stock Cadillac lenses, so they were identical in that respect. It's been too long for me to recall if there was additional trim added in the manner that these extra holes might indicate. It was a bizarre look, though, that's for sure.

254397d1403283911-help-classic-car-parts-dscn9325-800x600-.jpg

This is from a 48-50 Cadillac without a doubt but the extra trim holes are not stock as I have never seen any on any Cadillac model of that period.

the only year that this cadillac tailfin panel is for, is 1948 with the mounting holes for three chrome strips below the mounting for the taillight. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I can't believe that I remembered the name of the Chicago dealership, but it just came to my while went on to other things: "Courtesy Motors". I googled it found it right away. I'll include a link to an article about it. I'm sure you folks will get a chuckle out of the Hudson with the tail fins. Bleach, note that the fins, if they weren't bizarre enough on their own, also had additional moldings under the tail lights. Doreen, after you stop laughing at the tail lights, you may note (and recognize) the accessory rear bumper adornments. Geez, this guy must have been a character!

http://home.comcast.net/~sarahdyoung/courtesymotors.html

the only year that this cadillac tailfin panel is for, is 1948 with the mounting holes for three chrome strips below the mounting for the taillight. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

An example of what it fits....

post-37352-143142609631_thumb.jpg

The article that I cited refers to the tail fins as die cast and the one Doreen has looks like stamped metal to me. Still, I have to think that the presence of the bumper guards makes me think that some one bought the whole package. I appears to me from the brief article that he hoped to sell them to other dealers. Perhaps that's how these ended up in New Jersey.

Doreen, I don't suppose that you've come across a "Super Jet" name plate, have you? It's the badge that he slapped on the trunk of these cars. I can't help but wonder if it's just coincidence that Hudson came out with their own (ill-fated) "Jet" a couple of years later?

Guest Doreen

Sorry guys didn't mean to leave you hanging, I've been really busy at work and no time to play on here!

First off...Hudsy Wudsy I'm clueless...no chuckle here, but I am learning so much from you guys and loving it!!

seeker here is that part you wanted to see the back side of....and guess what I wiped off the inside of it and found a hand written #!!

sorry I should have done that earlier the left side/or center of the part is bent..that is where they had it nailed to a rafter

post-100887-143142613025_thumb.jpg

thanks Doreen

post-100887-143142613018_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142613021_thumb.jpg

Guest Doreen
Doreen, I don't suppose that you've come across a "Super Jet" name plate, have you? It's the badge that he slapped on the trunk of these cars. I can't help but wonder if it's just coincidence that Hudson came out with their own (ill-fated) "Jet" a couple of years later?

sorry Hudsy no super jet nameplate, I wish there was one here for you

Ok seeker all cleaned up and once again found a # it's only a partial

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258319[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258321[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258322[/ATTACH]

I am sticking with the 1955-56 Ford identification on this part.

Guest Doreen

Thanks keiser and bleach!!!!! Done for the day! Thanks again everyone for all your help...it is appreciated more than you can imagine. Have a great weekend everyone!! Go out for a nice drive in those beautiful cars you guys have!!!!

Now i'm no good at body parts ID'ing but this thread has been so much fun to follow. It's amazing how much knowledge there is just on this site alone. I am truly in awe of these guys id-ing some of these parts with no more than a couple pictures. You guys are truly awesome.

Guest Doreen

Hi edhd58...I so agree these guys are awesome!!! I came on this forum just to get help on where to go online to id the parts and they have been helping me since!!

They amaze me every day with their knowledge and willingness to reach out and help me! I don't have many more parts left to id and it kind of makes me sad because I've really come to enjoy this forum.

Doreen

Guest Doreen
oh sorry new at this stuff appreciate you help

2 windows that have levers on the inside and the glass opens out RT & Lt side no part # they are used parts, by checking out photos of cars they look like to me for a Nash 4 door maybe the quarter windows what do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]249216[/ATTACH]

re-posting these windows in hopes that someone that hasn't been on here since the beginning may know what they go to

thanks Doreen

re-posting these windows in hopes that someone that hasn't been on here since the beginning may know what they go to

thanks Doreen

Look a LOT like 1946-48 Plymouth four door sedan quarter windows.

post-37352-143142619067_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Doreen

set of GM retainers part # 4125725

guessing retainers for body side moldings??

they are about 43 1/2 inches long

post-100887-14314261896_thumb.jpg

thanks guys!

post-100887-143142618949_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142618952_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142618955_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142618956_thumb.jpg

set of GM retainers part # 4125725

guessing retainers for body side moldings??

they are about 43 1/2 inches long

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258929[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258930[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258931[/ATTACH]

thanks guys!

This is a RH upper belt molding retainer for 1942-1946 Chevy Series 1000 excluding Wagon, also used on 1947 passenger excluding Wagon.

Sorry guys didn't mean to leave you hanging, I've been really busy at work and no time to play on here!

First off...Hudsy Wudsy I'm clueless...no chuckle here, but I am learning so much from you guys and loving it!!

seeker here is that part you wanted to see the back side of....and guess what I wiped off the inside of it and found a hand written #!!

sorry I should have done that earlier the left side/or center of the part is bent..that is where they had it nailed to a rafter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]258309[/ATTACH]

thanks Doreen

This number doesn't come up in my GM price books which give you the group number (equivalent to the page number) to look in. The sequence of numbers around this one were used in the early 1950's across the GM lineup. If you could flip it over and get a picture from the front, that might help.

This looks like a 1957-59 Chrysler Imperial rear bumper extension (just a wild guess) 1957.jpg

Yep....here is one on the opposite side of this Imperial....yours is for the passenger side.

post-37352-143142619275_thumb.jpg

Yep....here is one on the opposite side of this Imperial....yours is for the passenger side.

Unfortunately the photo I posted it looked great then came through with the link instead of the photo when it actually appeared on the thread. It was even the right side. Thanks for posting an actual photo Keiser.

Guest Doreen

Well guys I'm at the end of my parts, well not really but the stuff that's left are mostly a bunch of chrome moldings and small odds and ends.

A great big THANK YOU to auburnseeker, Bleach, Larry W, Dave Mellor NJ, Keiser31, Pontaic1953, drwatson, Hudsy Wudsy, Curti, 28 Chrysler, McHinson, dan@larescorp, Gary F, nickelroadster, dictator27, Biscayne John, pcolliary, retirednow, Rusty_OToole, Scotts_DG8, Nos.eddy, Jon37, Harold, 1937-44, Woodfiddler, edhd58, Kimo, TerryB and anyone else I may have missed who helped me through this journey. All of you guys have amazed me with your knowledge and your eagerness to take the time out to help me id my parts. I'm a little sad writing this post because I've come to enjoy this forum and talking with you all. On my travels now, when I see an early model vehicle, I will look at it with a new found respect. I will even wonder maybe the driver of that vehicle helped me out on here! I hope you guys don't mind if I pop in now and than just to say hi. God Bless you all and thank you again, you are truly all a great bunch of guys!!!

Doreen

post-100887-143142629938_thumb.jpg

Guest Doreen

Guess who's back!! LOL Thank you Larry W your way to kind! I have a question for you guys. In your opinion how should I go about unloading these parts? I would be the happiest to sell the whole lot at once, pick up only and be done with it. Not into packing and shipping. I'm thinking start on Craigslist, or does anyone know of a site to post an ad?

thank you Doreen:cool:

That's the only problem with parts especially the large sheetmetal. They are very valuable to the right guy. Finding the right guy is tough. With the lot you have being pretty mixed a buyer is really going to want a deal, as they usually don't deal in everything and tend to be specialized. He is probably going to be very interested in a few things and not the rest. He may take it all but really want a discount to take the stuff he isn't interested in. Craigslist is free so that's a good start. You might even think of selling the 57 Buick Quarter, and Olds Quarter separate. Those by themselves may sell for more than you would get for the load together.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)