Help with classic car parts

Guest Doreen

Guest Doreen

Any help is much appreciated..

I work at an auto body shop in NJ that was recently sold. The business has been here since the late 40's. The new owner is renovating the shop and in the roof rafters we found a load of mostly new and used sheet metal, moldings, glass and more for vehicles from the 50's. Is there a website out there that might help me identify the parts? No boxes, some sheet metal is still wrapped in paper it was delivered in. The packaging on the new parts falls apart from age when touched. Most have no part numbers, but some do. We were thinking of selling to put towards the renovations and new equipment. But how do I sell a part when I don't know what vehicle it belongs to? HELP PLEASE:o

That's going to be a tough one. A sharp old car guy could ID a fair amount of stuff by sight. You could try posting some photos on here or find a serious old car guy in your area (there should be atleast a few) to take a look. I have a friend in Emerson NJ that's pretty good at identifying stuff by site. Part numbers are the best way though. You may end up having to wholesale the stuff off just to get something out of it. A few parts will always sell fast especially if you know what they fit another 50 percent will sell eventually and the rest will be a tough sale unless they are all for really desirable cars.

Good luck. I've been selling parts full time for the last 6 years on ebay. About 3000 + a year and specialize in NOS. Sheetmetal is a tough sale for the most part as shipping often outweighs the cost of the part.

Guest Doreen

Thanks for the response..I was thinking sheet metal and moldings would be great for someone restoring vehicles...guess I was wrong. Is there a site that I could search by part numbers that might help me? Example, I have a new rear body panel with a part # also in chalk on the back is written 55 & 56 Dodge 4 door. Wondering if you would know how to find out what Dodge model it would go to.

Guest Doreen

Thank you so much John. Starting to wonder if I should just scrap all of it, but feel bad cause they have been up in the roof time capsule for all these years. I need to clean off the 60 years of auto body dust caked on them and I will take you up on that...thanks for everyone's help

Thank you so much John. Starting to wonder if I should just scrap all of it, but feel bad cause they have been up in the roof time capsule for all these years. I need to clean off the 60 years of auto body dust caked on them and I will take you up on that...thanks for everyone's help

Please do not scrap them until we see what you have. You may have some very sought-after parts there. I have helped a couple of folks identify and sell some "scrap" parts and they were very happy with the results.

Guest Doreen

Ok I won't, it just seems it a lot of work. I've been looking for days online and only figured out 1 part and it wasn't even a vehicle from the 50's. It was an easy find '63-67 vette deck lid. I have a full size chev pick up bed filled with parts and I'm overwhelmed with no real place to store them while the renovations are going on. I will try to get some cleaned up and photos your way..thanks again

Any help is much appreciated..

I work at an auto body shop in NJ that was recently sold. The business has been here since the late 40's. The new owner is renovating the shop and in the roof rafters we found a load of mostly new and used sheet metal, moldings, glass and more for vehicles from the 50's. Is there a website out there that might help me identify the parts? No boxes, some sheet metal is still wrapped in paper it was delivered in. The packaging on the new parts falls apart from age when touched. Most have no part numbers, but some do. We were thinking of selling to put towards the renovations and new equipment. But how do I sell a part when I don't know what vehicle it belongs to? HELP PLEASE:o

. Post the pictures right here and all of us can help identify.

Guest Doreen

Thanks everyone, I have been in the auto body industry for close to 20 years and I'm pretty knowledgeable on car parts but not parts this old. You are all very kind to offer to take the time to help me out. I will take some photos and post them. I agree Rusty I think it would be a shame to scrap them, they lasted this long.

Is this thread for real? Baits the hook - NOS old car body parts, trim and glass (difficult to find). Sets the hook - "Wonder if I should just scrap all of it, ..." Still no photographs. Hopefully it's a legitimate request for help, but ....:confused:

Just an old doubter,

Grog

Doreen, maybe you could start one of those "Photobucket" style photo galleries on the web (or borrow a friends') and just upload your dozens of photos there. Put a number on each photo, publish a link to the gallery here at the AACA forum. Then ask viewers to e-mail you with the photo number and their best guess of what it fits. Once you get two or three people guessing the same year / make of car for one photo, you can be pretty sure that's the correct identification.

As to where you can store the parts....well, I can't help you there!

Guest Doreen

Grog.. I work 9-5 managing a busy collision shop. These parts are not the top priority of my daily tasks. I just posted in this forum a few hours ago with hopes of someone just steering me in the right direction. You offend me with your reply! I will be waiting for your apology when I get a chance to get some of the parts cleaned up enough to take some photos to post..have a great night old doubter :)

Doreen,

Take all the offense you'd like, it still looks like you're baiting here. If you have the parts take a couple of pix ... no clean up needed. As to an apology, none will be forthcoming for stating my opinion. Your threat to scrap the parts set off alarm bells with me.

Still an old doubter,

Grog

Guest Doreen

Thanks Curt...Grog I don't understand your comment..what am I baiting? Attention from men like you on this forum? I don't get it. I didn't com on this forum to sell parts. I came on asking for help on where I can go online to try to identify them. As far as scraping the parts it was not a threat, as you call it, just a thought. I was wondering if it was worth spending many, many hours at work to trying to figure out what vehicles they belong to along with selling, packing and shipping them. As far a cleaning up the parts, there is an inch of body shop dust caked on them from over the last 50 years. The body lines in the sheet metal is can not bee seen in this state. As for your apology, you're right no need, I'll pass. Why don't you just find another thread to follow. Everyone else I will try to post a couple of photos today of a few parts, so you know I'm (as Grog calls it) baiting you. Thanks all

Google is your friend. Usually you can find some clues by doing a Google search on any part numbers that you find. My guess is this is for a 1954 Chevrolet. I found the following through a Google Search of the part numberL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-CHEVROLET-GRILLE-TOOTH-PART-3705313-/321356722844

This stuff is worth far more than scrap.

I had to buy all the parts from a chrome that the owners walked away from just to get my parts back.

It took me about 2 years with help to Identify most of the parts, and find old and new homes for them.

Door skin looks like it might fit Chrysler Dodge Desoto 4 Door Skin Right Front 57,58,59 1957,1958,1959 according to this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Dodge-Desoto-4-Door-Skin-Right-Front-57-58-59-1957-1958-1959-/290768946833

found through a Google search for Chrysler 1958 Door Skin...

Well, Doreen, it looks like I owe you an apology. I hereby apologize.

I'll attempt to explain the type of "baiting" which had concerned me. A neighbor came to me a year or so ago with a tale of one of his customers who had recently passed away, leaving a large collection of Ford Model A's and parts. He asked me if I would take a look at the collection in an attempt to help the widow liquidate the collection. Of course, being a car guy, I said that I'd do whatever I could to help. Weeks passed. My neighbor then called me and asked if I was still willing to help his customer's widow, and, of course, I said that I was. More weeks passed, with similar communications from my neighbor. This went on for several months, and finally, I did some snooping on my own. It turned out that there was no such customer and no such Model A collection. As sometimes happens, people just like to mess with folks who are passionate about certain things. Notice I call This guy my "neighbor" and not my "friend". I could go on about other similar experiences, but I won't.

I have a friend who had a similar experience a couple of years ago. My friend, a Mopar fan, told me of a time that he'd met a guy who wanted to sell my friend a reportedly nice Mopar (I don't remember the details) and some NOS parts. It turned out that the guy wanted an astronomical amount of money for the car and parts ... which my friend could not afford. My friend then got together with a buddy to pool resources and make another offer, but the Mopar owner raised his price above the original and it was even more way beyond reasonable. A week or so later, the Mopar owner called my friend and told him that he'd had the car and parts crushed and scrapped because he couldn't get his price. Of course the owner of property can do whatever they want with it, but sometimes what they choose to do, just isn't right. Some folks are downright spiteful.

Doreen, most of the folks who are AACA members are passionate about the hobby, and the very mention of scrapping a potential parts treasure trove makes them lose just a little more faith and love for their fellow human beings. That's what made me concerned that your thread could be a "baiting" expedition. Fortunately, it appears that I was wrong (happens all too frequently), so again, I apologize.

No longer doubtin',

Grog

Guest Doreen

thank you so much guys..your help is much appreciated

on this rear body panel in chalk on the back says 55+56 Dodge 4 door there is a part # stamped on it 1609463 didn't find anything of ebay but did find something that said 55-56 dodge ex station wagon panel deck opening lower..but no value or model or did they just make 1 model wagon?

post-100887-143142527989_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142527985_thumb.jpg

Guest Doreen

anything you guys may be interested in just let me know..you guys are first in line for helping me out

I don't know anything about Dodge cars, but I do know how to use a Google search...

You might want to look at that ebay listing a little more closely.

"NOS MoPar #1609463 lower deck or trunk opening panel for 1955 and 1956 Dodge all cars except station wagon."

Guest Doreen

oh sorry new at this stuff appreciate you help

2 windows that have levers on the inside and the glass opens out RT & Lt side no part # they are used parts, by checking out photos of cars they look like to me for a Nash 4 door maybe the quarter windows what do you think?

post-100887-143142527992_thumb.jpg

Guest Doreen

Bleach.. not sure if this will fit 55/56 but I found a bundle of chrome moldings taped together and found 1 part #BA7320934 online it says rt short fender mldg for a 52 & 53 Ford Crestline 4 door there is another that looks just like it assuming its the Lt side..some that say back window mldg..some of the packaging is empty but there are loose chrome mldgs that may go to these mldgs just don't know..no actual part #'s on the mldgs. Looking at photos of that vehicle, looks like also the mldgs above the rear side windows The guys that pulled the parts out of the ceiling weren't real careful on keeping stuff together 11 pieces in the bundle with 2 empty wrappers which I'm sure are somewhere on the truck. I can send you other photos if interested

post-100887-14314252806_thumb.jpg

Guest Doreen

one more for the day there are a pair of these parts they look like they attach to a bumper but I believe they are aftermarket..on the top of the ball it says ERIE MFG CO CHICAGO IL KARGARD

post-100887-143142528063_thumb.jpg

Bleach.. not sure if this will fit 55/56 but I found a bundle of chrome moldings taped together and found 1 part #BA7320934 online it says rt short fender mldg for a 52 & 53 Ford Crestline 4 door there is another that looks just like it assuming its the Lt side..some that say back window mldg..some of the packaging is empty but there are loose chrome mldgs that may go to these mldgs just don't know..no actual part #'s on the mldgs. Looking at photos of that vehicle, looks like also the mldgs above the rear side windows The guys that pulled the parts out of the ceiling weren't real careful on keeping stuff together 11 pieces in the bundle with 2 empty wrappers which I'm sure are somewhere on the truck. I can send you other photos if interested

[ATTACH=CONFIG]249225[/ATTACH]

I probably could not use them but I am sure I could find someone that would.

More photos would be very useful.

Thanks.

one more for the day there are a pair of these parts they look like they attach to a bumper but I believe they are aftermarket..on the top of the ball it says ERIE MFG CO CHICAGO IL KARGARD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]249226[/ATTACH]

I found a discussion and some photos about some here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?15386-Cow-Catcher-Bumper-Guards-Mystery

Guest Doreen

post-100887-143142529075_thumb.jpg

1-can't read the part # on the package it does say Mopar and RAD GRILLE BTM BAR

2- I searched the part # and found nothing..thinking it may be a nameplate for a hub cap or a steering wheel

3- for a ft or rear bumper

thanks

post-100887-143142529064_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142529071_thumb.jpg

Guest Doreen

Thank you Chuck

Just wanted to post this which I thought was really cool..I found this really heavy metal box with a wire coming out of it. My first thought that it was a car battery. I wiped off the front of it and saw it said Motorola 45 on the front with possibly a speaker. I guessed maybe radio but didn't think it could be because of the weight. Well I took out a few screws and yes it is a radio! Checked it out online and it's from the 30's I didn't know they had car radios back than.

post-100887-143142529126_thumb.jpg

post-100887-143142529122_thumb.jpg