Original 1910 Olds Dealer's copy of "Setting the Pace" by W.H. Foster

I have a lithograph copy of the famous Oldsmobile painting by William Harnden Foster, one of 250 made and distributed to Olds dealers. This is not one of the 1970 repops. It was presented to Coverston's Falllon Garage in 1913 when they became an Olds dealer. I bought it when the dealership went under in the early 90's. At that time it was the second oldest GM dealer west of the Mississippi. The owner was a friend of our family and I had admired the picture since I was a small boy. Later I worked there. The history of the picture is fully known from new. I know of two others and there must be a few more remaining. One was Bill Harrah's and he displayed it with his Olds Limited. They are still together at the National Auto Museum in Reno. Another was in the offices of the Olds assembly plant in Van Nuys, Ca. I have heard the whereabouts of Foster's original painting are unknown. Foster's signiture is on the print, not sure if he signed all the prints or just the original. It is framed and in good condition. It is for sale at the dear price of $5000. Not cheap but chump change for guys in the Olds Limited set. I have seen Limiteds come up for sale but never one of these. The ultimate item for the Olds collector. Call me at 530 863 7579 or email at bcanumber99@yahoo.com.Regards, Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any documentation that your painting is one of the first run of reproductions done by Oldsmobile after the painting was commissioned in 1910. You mention the number 250 which refers to a chromolithography reproduction by Meyercord in 1911. Around 1970 Olds reproduced a run on heavy textured paper. In the mid to late 70s a smaller version was mass produced on canvas for sale and for company awards. The first two runs should be 35" by 24". By the way, a documented and professionally restored example of the 250 run was a no bid on ebay last fall at $3500 of my memory is correct. PM me if you have additional documentation and are a serious seller. thanks

Edited by Robert G. Smits
spelling (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any paperwork with the picture, just the statements of two families of those who owned it from 1913 to 2005, the Coverstons and Janesses. Was there some kind of documentation that would have accompanied the item when presented to Olds dealers? I wish you were closer, I'd like you to see it and have your evaluation. The dimensions are correct, and it has not been restored or otherwise molested, but I am sure the frame is not original. Someone with your familiarity with these things will know what you are looking at. I can send pictures and will look into posting pics here.

regards, Erik

Roger, see if there is anyone in your area who specializes in art restoration and see if they will evaluate the lithograph. They should be able to tell if the technique is correct for chromolithography of the 1910 period and if there has been any significant repair/restoration over the years. Written statements from family members would also help establish the pedigree. Good Luck. Bob Smits

Roger, PM or email me your location as I may know of someone in your area who can help. I have been collecting pre prohabition brewery lithographs for years, especially those produced using the stone lithography technique. Bob Smits