Southeastern Fall Dual Meet

Bob, the deadline was published for months in advance and in fact extended thru the 13th. Hershey has a deadline for their October meet in August. There are just times the deadlines have to be done earlier due to contracts and guarantees that have to be made. The club constantly reminds people about the importance of deadlines. I even used my column to bring it up again. It plays havoc in trying to run an organized event when you do not know how many cars will show up, delays laying out the field, getting the correct trophies and supplies to the event, setting up judging teams etc. There are a host of issues that volunteers from the regions have to deal with and very few times that they can completely ignore deadlines. As in most endeavors, most people do not see or understand what goes on in the background to host a national meet let alone a dual meet.

Our meet in Auburn basically had no deadline as we took cars right up to the day of the show but it was a different animal then most shows. No one likes to turn people away but there has to be a deadline most of the time

Steve,

I understand - I was co -chair of the Grand National Meet in 1996 (Huntsville) so have experienced the process. The only issue is that for those of us who aren't retired and/or have kids at home (both of these apply to me), planning something out in the future is tough. Usually a month out you have a good idea whether it will work out of not - anything prior to that is 50/50. Only over the weekend did I know for sure I could make this meet even though it is only 2 hours from my house.

It isn't life changing that I don't go so no worries - just figure that as long as (1) I work for a living and (2) have kid's activities - attnding National Meets may not happen with the deadlines being imposed. The meets are the only reason I renewed my membership in AACA this year and I have so far missed - or will miss - every one I had hoped to attend.

Bob

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

Guest Art Griffin

Bob,

Having been the Meet Chairman for 6 AACA National Meets, I understand clearly what Steve is saying. He mentioned a number of the activities that have to be finished after the deadline for registration has passed. There are clearly lots of things that are time-related. And I hope you will continue to be an active member of AACA since there are so many other things that AACA has that you can enjoy even when you aren't able to attend a meet due to work and family, etc. And most Regions/Chapters have events close to home plus interesting meetings, programs, and outstanding members. By the way, you clearly have a great group of antique vehicles!

Art

• 2 weeks later...