Whereabouts of a Zephyr owned by my Grandfather

Guest yodaddy

Guest yodaddy

My grandfather owned a Zephyr and sold it some time in the 40's. I'm curious as to if the car is still alive and kicking. His name was Kenneth Shellman of Dayton, Camden, and Hamilton Ohio. He owned a garage/gas station on N. Main St. in Camden in the 30s and 40s . Any information would be much appreciated.

Guest yodaddy
It would be helpful to know its year of manufacture, was it a two door, four door, convertible...maybe the color.

My Mom said it was black, hard top, 2 door. She doesn't know the year, but best guess is it was '37-'39.

Thanks!

Edited by yodaddy (see edit history)

Guest 65Starfire

You may want to go the the DMV for that last place you know the car was registered to your grandfather and see if they can find his registration. Then find the VIN. That would allow you to check the LCOC and the LZOC records to see if someone has it listed... I say this as a guy who tracked down my father's Oldsmobile and brought it home - to which he said "Of all the G@#$%^n cars I have ever owned, you had to drag back that son of a b!@#$ - it went through a tank of gas and a quart of oil a week in 1966!"

Good Luck!

Edited by 65Starfire (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I too have looked for my father's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr 3 window coupe. It was sold in 1945 as a down payment on a small house by my mother. I do have the gentleman's name who bought it, but of course he's dead now. Haven't looked up all his relatives, but after that amount of time I doubt anyone really remembers what he might have done with it. In Texas they destroyed all old vehicle records before 1980, so no luck in trying to track it down by the license plate, and I don't have the VIN number either. So in today's world I just enjoy working with my '41 Zephyr and remember how much the '39 meant to my father who was a Lincoln Mercury mechanic too!