How to title/license a restoration project in Wisconsin

AVS619

For those of you living in Wisconsin, have any of you had experience getting a title for a car that you have owned for some time (even decades) but never titled. The car is a 1912 Oakland and I bought it in pieces in about 1980. It has taken this long to find parts and get time from my business and get to work on it. It now runs (engine rebuilt finally) but a long way to go. I have heard that not getting a title or license straight away may mean there could be back penalties and such. Oh, it was bought under a bill of sale, they did not title a car as old as this in the state I bought it from. It was assumed this was a Barney Pollard car once. Anyone have an experience, information or other advise. Thank you indeed! Tom

The first thing that I would do is contact the state Department of Motor Bureau and ask them what you need to title the vehicle. If the vehicle has a VIN tag and you have a bill of sale for the vehicle you may be able to get a title with a police inspection. It depends on the state. Just call or look at the website. Lots of states transferred vehicles of that era with bill of sale only. Chances are that you will need to go to the office to explain that it is a 100 year old vehicle. Where I am at there is one person that is well versed in antique vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...