1965 Malibu SS Convertible 6 cylinder

Guest KrazyKreez

Guest KrazyKreez

Hello everyone. I have recently purchase a 1965 Malibu SS convertible 6 cylinder. This will be my first restoration project. The problem I am running into is that no one believes it is a Malibu SS because of the 6. I even asked a restoration garage and he never heard of it. I do have the original bill of sale. This guy had it for the past 49 years and passed away. I got it at his estate auction. Can someone shed some light on this. Also the guy I talked to said I should switch out the engine to a 8 cylinder. Would I be better off keeping everything original or beefing it up? I know there are quite a few 65 Malibus out there, but would this be considered a rare type of vehicle? Thanks

Guest KrazyKreez

I must admit that I wanted an older car with some power and was willing to do that during the restoration. But I think I have something pretty neat here and have not found anything that exists, which will duplicate the car. I pulled some sheet that states "Chevrolet's Accumulative Production Report of August 31, 1965" and it shows 1,119 were made to these specs. The only thing is if I guy can believe it. Does anyone know if GM has some type of paperwork that can be requested to document the cars build and production numbers?

Guest H8tulooze

Hello Krazy,

If you check the VIN on the driver side door jam, what are the first 3 numbers? If its 137 its a 6yl SS if its a 138 its a V8 SS. Lots of info out there. I have a Facebook page(https://www.facebook.com/1965MalibuConvertibleSSDatabase) dedicated to ONLY 1965 Malibu SS convertibles as I own one. Also www.chevelles.com is a great site for info. Do you have any pictures of the car? COWL tag on the firewall or VIN tag?

http://chevellestuff.net/1965/style_prod_no.htm

Stacy

Edited by H8tulooze (see edit history)

I would keep it the way it is. Yes! They did make that combo. I had that same combo in 1977. That car was real neat. These are rare cars. Please keep the 6 in it. Off subject but still GM. In 61 mid year when the 409 was introduced, it could be ordered with a 4 dr Impala S.S. with the 409-360-4 speed.

I must admit that I wanted an older car with some power and was willing to do that during the restoration. But I think I have something pretty neat here and have not found anything that exists, which will duplicate the car. I pulled some sheet that states "Chevrolet's Accumulative Production Report of August 31, 1965" and it shows 1,119 were made to these specs. The only thing is if I guy can believe it. Does anyone know if GM has some type of paperwork that can be requested to document the cars build and production numbers?

Which 6 banger does it have?

Those GM 6's are about the smoothest running things EVER.......and easy to work on too....... :)

I like to drive my '59 Chev with the 235 6 just to listen to the engine....... :P

Guest Henry White

I too, wondered if the 6 was correct. If it is a numbers motor keep it. If you must have more power buy some bolt on speed equipment, keep it so it can be bolted back to original. No cutting. V8's are a dime a dozen, dont see enough 6's. They are great cars, I had a couple Chevelle 4 doors and those 230's? were tough.

Guest KrazyKreez

I did take a look at the VIN tag this morning. It is 137675K2046151. I just picked it up this last weekend so I will take pictures of it this weekend. Where would I find other numbers to make sure everything matches? Thanks.

Guest marlin65

By all means go out of your way to keep it stock. The SS option was more or less a trim option i.e. nicer upholstery,ID badges, fancier hubcaps etc. I know of a 63 Nova convertible that is a factory SS with a 4 banger in it,completely stock barn find. You should consider joining the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. Tons of help there. Ed in Dade City,Fl

There is a book titled "Chevrolet By the Numbers" ........it costs around $40 in the door if you really want to know.

I've not found any such FREE information anywhere.

Unless someone who has the book jumps in and tells you what's what I'm afraid it's your only option.

Here's a resource I JUST discovered http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/browse/m/Chevrolet/c/Engine_Blocks ...... :)

And to find out when and where the engine was made look for STAMPED numbers in a flat pad on the block just forward of the distributor >>> http://www.ehow.com/how_7311642_decode-1957-chevy-motor.html

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Defiantly keep the six. You have something rare and unique. I was quite surprised when, back in high school, a friend picked me up in a '61 Impala convertible with a six cylinder engine and Powerglide transmission. I have seen only one other in forty years since, and that was a bubble top here in southeast MI.

Defiantly keep the six. You have something rare and unique. I was quite surprised when, back in high school, a friend picked me up in a '61 Impala convertible with a six cylinder engine and Powerglide transmission. I have seen only one other in forty years since, and that was a bubble top here in southeast MI.

That probably was me in 69-70 in Redford Township. I put a 409 in it later. that would be to funny if it was. It was blue then I painted it red.post-78906-143142530053_thumb.jpg Here is a 62 that I bought in 68 that was a race car all its life. 409-380 with 3 speed on the column.

Guest KrazyKreez

I want to thank everyone for all the information. I was looking for a car to fix up and this one had plenty of potential. I got it at the auction for $2600. I was told that is a pretty good deal. It was a good start to an inexpensive purchase price for a running car without a lot of rust. H8tulooze, I wasn't able to get on your database. Do you have to have a face book account? Some of the other responses made me feel pretty young. I am only 42 years old and you guys are talking about cars before my time. Thanks for making me feel so young again:) I am going to keep it stock and do it right. It will take me a little longer because of the costs but believe this car deserves it. Any suggestions on restoring, other than the obvious would be appreciated. marlin65, I told my cousin about your information for the 63 Nova and said I was full of chit. He will be helping me with this car. He didn't believe I got this car with a six. Just goes to show how closed minded some can be. (marlin65, hope you were right, bet him $50)

Guest marlin65

Krazy,I'm absolutely positive that this Nova had never been touched and indeed it was an SS with a 153 cu.in 4 banger. In fact the valve cover is so small that the word Chevrolet could not be spelled out so it spells Chevy!!!!

Guest KrazyKreez

I have a couple questions regarding oil and gas. The engine probably took leaded gas and of course there is unleaded offered now. Do I have to add a supplement of lead to a tank of unleaded gas? Also, it is a 6 230ci engine (unfortunately not the 194cid), does that one take 10w 30 oil?

One more thing, does anyone have an idea of how much (ball park figure) it costs to have a frame powder coated and the body fixed up and repainted. Tore the interior out and will need a 6 inch patch in the trunk and 7 inch patch on the passenger side floor. Also there is rust around the wheel wells about an inch to two inches. The rest is pretty solid with a couple little dents. Again i am not asking for an exact amount but am interested in what a good restoration could run for the body and frame. Again this is my first project. Thanks for any help.

Guest KrazyKreez

Went to O'Reilly's for the 10W30 and wanted an oil filter. The guy behind the counter recommended a Zinc additive for the oil. Is this something necessary for older cars or is it something in general that can be added to improve performance?

Zinc is only useful for older, solid lifter, engines pushing against really strong valve springs.

If you choose to use it it won't matter materially.

I had the pan off of my 235 ci 6 in the '59 Chev (new pistons, rings and .001 under rod bearings) and the camshaft looked like it was put in yesterday in a car with 127,000 miles.