1937 Desoto clutch release bearing

wilmacmike

Hello all,

My 1937 Desoto S3 has a squeaky clutch release bearing. It looks like it has been replaced not too long ago. However the car has sat for quite some time. Looking for various parts on ebay,I found a clutch release bearing grease hose for the mopars (35, 36, 37), part # 633286. My question. Was this an option, and if so is there a hole in the release bearing housing that this grease hose/tube screws into so a shot of grease could be given to the bearing?

Anyone have a parts book which would show this tube?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

This hose is standard on all Mopar engines of that period. It should screw into a 1/8 pipe thread hole in a boss on the bearing housing and it extends out the right side of the bell housing were the ventilator screen opening is. There is a band type clamp that bolts to the housing to hold it and a grease cup that fastens to the end. You pack the cup with grease and give the lid a turn every now and then to lube the bearing. These parts should be available from most Mopar parts houses or I might have something lying around here. This part is pictured in all of the mechanics manuals and should also be in your owner's manual if you have one. Here's a photo, it's not the best but you can see the tube and cup sticking out on the right side.

post-33734-143142518208_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the picture and the help. My S-3 is a 5 window buisness coupe. 3 speed on the floor with mechanical overdrive. It needs a lot of work. it is not road worthy yet. The engine runs well, transmission shifts (ran it on jackstands). Looking at my picture through the hole in the bell housing there is no threaded hole for the grease tube. What do you think? Someone in the past changed it out without the optional hole?

I have a couple more pictures which show the actual throwout bearing, but they were too large to upload. Will have to figure out how to make them smaller.

Again thank you,

Mike

post-99270-143142518324_thumb.jpg

I don't know. I would think that there's not a lot of difference between a Dodge engine and a DeSoto engine. It's possible that it has been changed with the wrong carrier. A lot of these units look similar. That shaft tube looks pretty corroded, so the bearing is not going to slide on it very smoothly. Again these parts should not be hard to find. Looks like you're going to have to do a little maintenance and cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

If you look in the DeSoto Master Parts List 1936-1942 there is a blowup on page 52 showing the cup, tube assembly and the clip. It is DeSoto only. Does not appear on the Dodge blowup. This was only used on the 1936 DeSoto S1. Discontinued or redesigned after 1936 and not used on the S2 of that year.

• 5 years later...

I have the same setup (transmission and bellhousing )on my 36 panel.  It has a 38 D8 engine.  I've been looking for the throwout bearing housing.  I found one, but it states it is for 1948-1953 B1D thru B4D, B1F-B4F, B1H-B4H and many others.   Can anyone tell me if it will fit/work on my setup?  Sorry to hijack the thread.

clutch.jpg