1949 Windsor electrical system part? W/pic

It looks like a relay, possibly a horn relay. Can you trace the wires and see where they go?

Could also be a starter relay but they did not use that style in 49. Unless someone changed it.

Later........... Thanks C49r, if I knew you were answering I wouldn't have bothered ha ha.

I don't think it's an add-on, and it's definitely the horn relay after I did a bit of rewiring. I am now facing the issue of the relay clicking, but the horn not actually working when I press the "button" on the steering wheel. The shop manual gives pretty vague explanation about how to read the four posts. I do have another mystery part question. In the photo below, what wire is jetting out of the firewall on the right side of the flasher relay? I'm guessing it may be the blinker wire, but would like verification. Chrysler shop manual is very poor at illustrating.

post-76827-143142517941_thumb.jpg

The wire to the right of the flasher in the armoured cable is the 6 volt feed wire for the ignition coil negative (-) side. On Some Mopar cars it goes directly to the coil other times to the horn relay IGN terminal - then on to the coil.

The little "L" terminals are stamped BAT, IGN, HRN and GRD as I recall. You need to remove the wires and carefully wire brush said terminals to see.

The horn relay on your car is factory.

Bob

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Also while i'm here, I installed Taylor Street Thunder 8mm plug wires a year ago but didn't change the coil to distributor wire at the time. I think It'd be beneficial to go ahead and change that, and I do have leftover 8mm wire from the plugs. Could I just assemble a coil-distributor wire from the same wires I used for the spark plugs? Thanks!

It'd be the wire underneath the armored cable; directly next to the flasher. It's armored on the interior of the car, but not in the engine bay.

It's armoured in the engine bay too you are seeing just the larger bell end of it... All 1949-52 MoPars are like this....

These flatheads normally use 7MM wires but you can use 8MM as you want for the coil lead.

post-62228-143142517952_thumb.jpg

Were the horns working before you rewired the relay? The relay posts are marked just hard to see when on the car.

Make sure the horns have a good ground. Clean where they are bolted to the body. Also, these horns are adjustable. If you remove the top cover there is an adjusting screw for the contacts inside. Sometimes they need to be tweeked to get working

Yeah, they worked prior to rewiring. I'm pretty sure I've got two switched around. The bottom right post is a specific connector, so the is verified correct, but the other three I'm not certain. Next time I'll take a pic before I take the old wiring off.

Carefully clean the mounting strap and see for ID of the terminals. If you cannot I will go out to the shop and find the info you need.

I did.......

The GRD connects to the rubber coated black wire from the horn button or the wire that comes out of the steering tube.

The HORN is connected to the heavy green wire or two green wires to the horns themselves.

The stud terminal is connected to the accessory terminal black wire of the ignition switch (armoured cable) and other accessory wires, IE the flasher red 6volt feed supply wire ect.

And lastly the BAT terminal has a green wire hooked to it that comes from the starter solenoid and is always a "HOT" 6 volt feed to the horn relay.

Bob

post-62228-143142518119_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142518127_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142518134_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

I also have a horn that doesn't work. If I connect a wire from the positive battery post to the Black rubber wire/GRD post the horn will sound. But nothing sounds when I depress the horn ring. I would like any suggestions to help get me honking again.

You will need a test light or multi meter to do some tests. When you honk the horn is the relay grounding? Is the horn relay powered? Is power getting to the horn? If so the horn must be faulty or not grounding. If not, you must trace the fault in the control system.