American in Devon?

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Would appreciate your thoughts on identity of this car. It was photographed in Devon in England and the registration dates it to 1913. Body seems British? To me it seems a McLaughlin but the logo on the radiator is rectangular plaque rather than script molded into the metal. Would appreciate suggestions.

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143142515944_thumb.jpg

It does appear to be a McLaughlin. I found one grainy photo which appears to show a rectangular badge. There is one other difference.

In all the photos I found the crank goes through the bottom of the radiator core. It is under the core in the car in this post. I think the body is definitely British.

www.cars-n-trucks-unlimited.com/buick

Terry

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. My observation is that the statring handle through the rad started in 1913. Before that it was below the rad and through the supporting member. Would appreciate seeing any photo of Buick or McLaughlin with the thin rectangular badge. It seems from web photos that this would be cca 1912 which ties in with the 1913 registration date. Thanks Vintman

Hi,

Have just been reminded by nzcarnerd that Buicks were also assembled in Britain. This reminded me that we had an enquiry some years ago about a similar car. Digging further in my records I reminded myself that Buicks were exported to UK from 1907 but that from 1909 Flint made chassis were shipped to be bodied by Bedford Motors of Westminster "to a modified American design built in England" .They were called initially Bedford and later Bedford-Buick. The logo was a flat rectangular badge with Bedford on it. Not to be confused with the name used by Vauxhall in 1931 for commercial vehicles.

Regards

Vintman