Can anyone identify this old vehicle please?

Guest Eric Hatfield

Guest Eric Hatfield

[TABLE=class: forumline, width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: row1, width: 100%, bgcolor: #EFEFEF][TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Hi, I live in Australia and I am new here. I joined because I hope someone here can identify an old car for me please.

The photo is a souvenir photo from Jenolan Caves, a tourist destination about 2 hours drive from Sydney and I suspect the photo was taken around 1920. The man in the front seat nearest the camera is my grandfather, and he worked for a time at the large guest house at Jenolan, so they may be going on a picnic, but they may be taking people back to the railway station, which is some distance away. My grandfather is a mysterious character, and I am trying to reconstruct his life, and finding the approximate year this photo was taken may assist.

Is anyone here able to identify the make and model of this vehicle please (I'm guessing it is more likely to be British, but may be American), especially the approximate date of that model? (The photo looks small, but if you click on it you can see a larger version.) Thanks.

post-100756-143142515623_thumb.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I first thought it was a Hudson, as they were popular as service and tour cars, and then thought Buick because of the hubcaps. I notice it has 10 spoke front wheels and 12 spoke rear wheels. This is typical Hudson of around 1916-1917. I think the bonnet might be off something different as most cars of 1916-17 had coarser louvres. Whether it has US factory Hudson bodywork or an Australian body I don't know. I think it was only late in WW1 that the Australian government brought in the tax changes which encouraged local body production.

Guest Eric Hatfield

Hi. Thanks for that. I saw your earlier comment before you revised it. It is clear that you know a lot about cars of this vintage. Could it be a Hudson with bodywork by Holden? (I looked up Holden after your earlier comment - I didn't realise that this company was making bodies for imported chassis+engines post WW1 and before it was taken over by GMH.) It is hard (impossible?) to tell how old this car was at the time, so if it was made in 1917, it might presumably be anything from about 1-10 years old here I guess.