Buick Bonery Still in Business?

DrP

Dilemma: Anyone done business with Buick Bonery lately? I purchased -over the phone - a radiator I expected to be for my 63 Riviera w/AC. Took a month to get it. After delivery, took it to my radiator guy and he compared it to my original. He said only thing in common with my original was the center filler. Top tank -which is what I need- was 1/2 more narrow than mine and inlet was in different location. Drain spigot was on the bottom left side of the bottom tank and my original is on the back side right. I've called the number for Buick Bonery - 916 599-3934 and left messages w/ no response as of yet. Paid for it with credit card and sure hate to have a dispute for payment without first talking to someone. Understand this was at one time a reliable source but may have changed hands. I have several addresses and someone said the listing address on their site is a residence in Sacramento. Other two I have : 6834 McComber St, Sacto and 6970 Stamper Way in Sacto near Chandler Dr and Briggs Ave. Anyone have suggestions on how to make contact with the owner? I'd travel there but want to be sure I have contact first. Dale

Finally got a call from "Mike" at Buick Bonery. Not sure if we were on the "same page". I'll be stopping there tomorrow to return the incorrect radiator he shipped me and, hopefully, getting a correct radiator or my $$ back. Will keep the group posted. Meanwhile, anyone with a spare top tank for 63-65 Riv please let me know. I'm desperate for one as car has been idle for too long.

Dale

Thanks Mitch. I'll be going to Sacto this morning and see if Buick Bonery has the correct radiator. From my phone con yesterday with Mike it didn't sound promising so I may be taking you up on your offer. I'll let you know. Your generosity is well appreciated. And, I remember, I owe you a story about how I found this car in the Bay Area and the location. Thxxx. Dale

OK, here's the experience with my visit to Buick Bonery: First it was a 180 mile one-way drive for me. Called Mike one hour before I was to be there (11:30 AM) as per his previous day's request and, when I got there, he was waiting. Showed him and described the obvious difference in the radiator he sent me and the one from my 63. He agreed it was the incorrect radiator and he went off looking through his yard for another Riv and found only one with a radiator. Top tank was worse condition than the one I have so, no go. He had three early Rivs maybe four that I could see. When I asked him if any others had radiators he had to check. One of them, he said, was the one that he'd taken my radiator out of. I asked him to show me how it fit in the car he took it out of. He then said it had been in the trunk and he just got it out and shipped it to me. That must be it. My car didn't have the trunk mounted radiator option. So much for trusting him to knowing or checking out what he sells. To his credit, these radiators do not have a parts number stampings just "Harrison" stamped on the tank. My advice if you need parts from Buick Bonery, you'd be best off, if able, going there in person or sending someone knowledgeable to correctly ID your part before buying. If you wish to schmooze Mike - I think he's a one man show, advise taking Sierra Nevada beer. Best to take lots, like cases and cases- maybe even a pallet. There were about 20 empty 24 bottle cases littered around the entrance near a used motor home and, they all were in like new condition so they hadn't been there long - maybe 10-15 days??? Not against beer drinking and not being judgmental but, I'm just saying....... Had paid him via credit card over the phone and expected to get a credit refund. He allowed as how I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for the return on my account because, he said, he "has to pay the rent this month". Told him I expected a credit to my account and I trusted he'd do that. Got home and contacted credit card company and they said give him 20 days and if no refund they'd "go after him". Meanwhile, I'm still without working top radiator tank. I'm positive I'll look back on this and smile when I finally get this little jewel back on the road. Side note: If you go to Buick Bonery yard (it is at 6834 McComber St, Sacramento) be sure to take a look at the yard full of Edsels just up the street.

Thanks for the update, which is helpful to all. So are you just looking for the top tank? Mitch is closer, but I just did an eBay search (I'm sure you have too) and found this... not sure if it's the same top as for a Riv but at least the upper and lower openings are correct:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-BUICK-Wildcat-OEM-Radiator-3152022-VINTAGE-62-63-64-some-other-Models-/191156863615?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c81d6427f&vxp=mtr

Sorry, silly me - Reading down further it says "except A/C and Riviera." Never mind!

Thanks for the update, which is helpful to all. So are you just looking for the top tank? Mitch is closer, but I just did an eBay search (I'm sure you have too) and found this... not sure if it's the same top as for a Riv but at least the upper and lower openings are correct:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-BUICK-Wildcat-OEM-Radiator-3152022-VINTAGE-62-63-64-some-other-Models-/191156863615?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c81d6427f&vxp=mtr

Bill: Did'nt have a Buick back in the Ken days but pretty sure it must have "changed". Since you're part of the larger Buick owners community maybe you want to pass on my advice that those needing restoration parts from this source try to go in person or have someone you trust in Sacto area go there to accurately ID parts needed, Also best advised to take ALL tools necessary for parts removal including jacks, etc. I saw no source of tools, cutting torches, winches, et.al. I grew up in a wrecking yard - before the era of auto recyclers- so I kinda know my way around "old iron" and "junk yards". Yep. We had two mean junk yard dogs as well. Didn't even see one at BB. lol

Guest clamshells

Although I brought my own shop jack I could have used another one so I asked Mike for a jack he brought out a cute little key chain ornament. I laughed and said "okay, that's funny, now where is the jack" only he wasn't kidding.

He sold a complete LX out of a car before confirming it was a numbers matching car: "Wildcats didn't come with 2-4's" ..................need I say another word.

• 4 weeks later...

Info for all Buick Bonery buyers: Be advised if you return goods for credit to BB; have Mike "show you the money". My Buick Bonery Saga continues. See my post #6 from 3 weeks ago. Left off with Mike saying he couldn't give refund to my credit card purchase for two weeks due to his "needing to pay the rent". Well, he called me after three weeks and said he couldn't give me credit for at least another week. I sent him a "lawyer up" letter w/ copy to credit card company advising him to give me credit within one week or else. I forgave the amount of shipping as I felt it was on me. In lieu of his crediting my account I suppose I could press for part ownership since I'm already "financing" the enterprise.:mad: On the sunny side; Mitch came through with a radiator tank and I'll soon be on the way to getting it on. Big THANKS again to you Mitch.

Guest clamshells
Info for all Buick Bonery buyers: Be advised if you return goods for credit to BB; have Mike "show you the money". My Buick Bonery Saga continues. See my post #6 from 3 weeks ago. Left off with Mike saying he couldn't give refund to my credit card purchase for two weeks due to his "needing to pay the rent". Well, he called me after three weeks and said he couldn't give me credit for at least another week. I sent him a "lawyer up" letter w/ copy to credit card company advising him to give me credit within one week or else. I forgave the amount of shipping as I felt it was on me. In lieu of his crediting my account I suppose I could press for part ownership since I'm already "financing" the enterprise.:mad: On the sunny side; Mitch came through with a radiator tank and I'll soon be on the way to getting it on. Big THANKS again to you Mitch.

Interesting.........last week I offered Mike a 65 parts car (w/good radiator) which he knit picked and eventually turned down. Even if the car was a total POS (which it isn't) it was still worth a min 300.00 in scrap. Zero business sense and clearly lacking a conscience. This is the last I have to say about this ______.

Tim @ Riv Central has just about anything 1st Gen and some 2nd Gen with no emotional attachments to the parts.................lol

Cash flow problem? Probably. Hope he'll read these postings and take them as positive criticisms and try to improve. Made some suggestions from experience in how my dad ran a wrecking yard but not sure it helped. To his credit, it's not an easy business to run. Fed/State/Local regulations, workman's comp, inventory, knowledge of lots of different cars, etc. All takes money/time/energy. For the sake of all us Buick enthusiasts let's hope he manages to hang on so we'll have alternate source for parts for these venerable old machines. Unlike some of you- which I admire - I'm not "encouraged" to have a couple of "parts" cars in the backyard. Wish I could but my choice; happy wife, happy life. Anyone want to form an old Buick parts co-op?

Edited by DrP (see edit history)

OK Dale: I believe Mike might be under the radar with his yard. I watch the TV show called "Bar Rescue". The Gentleman, a Mr. Jon Taffer evaluates the entire situation and determines why the bar is loosing money. He goes in makes recommendations and gives support to the staff and owner. Sometimes the owners have a real hard time acting on information he presents and the manner it's presented. Because it's a formatted show the owners usually get to understand the reality presented to them and act accordingly. Personally, I can see myself as one of the owners who is having trouble making good decisions....even when presented to me by an expert such as Jon Taffer.

Well, I don't think a wrecking yard rescue show is coming to the Buick Bonery soon to turn things around and who knows, perhaps things are working for Mike. After all, he's not in jail, he's still alive and he's still in business and that's probably all that really matters to him. Mitch

I used to deal with Ken before Mike and always was happy with all my transactions. I do think that Mike became overwhelmed by the yard ... it is tough for me to remember and identify the parts for a 1963 - 1964 - 1965 Riviera. Much less the variety of vehicles he has to deal with. Whenever I dealt with Mike it took some added steps to educate him about what I wanted by diagrams, measurements and details..... once he understood, he made a concentrated effort to be sure that what he had is what I wanted .... pricing was always very reasonable. I think that we have to work with these parts suppliers because every time one of them gives up, we have one less place to obtain our parts. Parts are getting scarce and expensive we need as many of those dealers available. I hope that things have not gotten out of hand for him. That's my take on this issue. I hope the radiator situation was resolved. Paul

Paul, good comments and also those from others. My observations made were only of my experience and passing it on with as little bias as possible. My "little" radiator issue will be resolved. Agree. We should encourage and support all suppliers as they provide a valuable service and are trying hard to make a living from what they do. Personally, I respect them as I understand used, new, or repo parts businesses require a deep investment in inventory meaning $$$$$. End of day, we all desire these wonderful cars to be back on the road and, with us driving them, so we need and depend on these suppliers. In earlier posts hoped the message was to encourage doing business with BB but take measures to be sure you are getting what you expect.

Just a note of reference for you ROA members. IF you have a problem with a vendor who advertises in the Riview and the Riview was your resource for contacting the vendor, you need to email Ray Knott, Director of the ROA, and advise him of the situation. Ray has some pull with these guys. IF it appears that they're not performing as any good business would perform, Ray will advise the vendor that their ads will no longer be welcome in the Riview. Most of these guys are getting free ads anyway (depending on the number of word or how the ad is displayed) and the Riview may be one of their biggest sources of contact with Riviera owners. They probably don't won't to lose that free advertising.

If you order the wrong part and you know in advance that there's a "no return policy" that's your fault and Ray can't help you. But if you're told that the part you have is available and then you get a song and dance about delivery, etc., let Ray know.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Want to "square the deal": Well, good news on my end regards credit card transaction with BB and wrong part shipped. Finally got credit refund processed (less the $25 shipping which I agreed to waive) after contesting so all's well. My caveat re BB are still valid. i.e., know what you're buying before payment and shipment.

Guest clamshells
Want to "square the deal": Well, good news on my end regards credit card transaction with BB and wrong part shipped. Finally got credit refund processed (less the $25 shipping which I agreed to waive) after contesting so all's well. My caveat re BB are still valid. i.e., know what you're buying before payment and shipment.

When going by pictures and he said she said over the internet or phone there is no "knowing" just trusting the seller has a spine and a conscience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gseago
I just got an Email saying the Mike at Buick Bonery has 30 days to vacate the premises.

All cars will be crushed at that time.

Too bad, anothe Buick Vendor, wrecking yard out of business.

Was the email from a reliable source? If so maybe Tim @ Rivi Central would be interested in his Riviera inventory.

Was the email from a reliable source? If so maybe Tim @ Rivi Central would be interested in his Riviera inventory.

Ray Knott, Director of the ROA just sent this email to the Trustees and Regional Coordinators. I would say that the phone number and email address are good.

Be advised that Member Mike Hogan has just been served with a 30 day notice, after which everything will be crushed. This notice will be posted on our home page.

Buick Bonery Shutting Down

The Buick Boney in Sacramento, CA has just been given a 30 day notice and on Aug 15th all his cars will be crushed. Still in his yard are 1964, 65, 66, 70 72, a running 73 and plenty of boattail parts. If interested contact Mike Hogan now at buickbonery@hotmail.com or 916-599-3934..