1956 Special doesn't start

56Road

Hello, so I bought another 56, a four door Special with original 30k miles.

I changed plugs wires, coil and pulled the carb out to clean. The problem I have is that the car won't start. I pulled out the fuel line and I see that when I crank it I'm getting fuel. When i press the gas pedal and it engages the starter is there anything to do with the carb? I have another 2 bbl carb that I can replace the factory for now but do I have to bypass the ignition if it's on the carb.

I got the car 4 days ago and when I picked it up we got the car to run. We put some gas to the carb, crank it and it started right up, we let the car run for a good 30-40 minutes. I'll try upload a video. Think it could be timing??

If the carb has the starter switch on it, there will be two wires connected to the switch. If you change out the carb to one without the built in switch, you can easily convert to a push button start by running the two wires to the dash and installing a push button switch. It will then operate like it did with the accelerator switch.

If you did not adjust the timing by moving the distributor and it ran before, the timing should still be good enough for the car to run.

Sounds like the choke is not closing when the engine is cold. If it ran for a half hour the first time, then do not replace the carb. Instead, with the key in the off position, remove the aircleaner, and hold the gaspedal linkage all the way open, and see if the choke makes an automatic movement to close. If so, turn the key to on, and hold the choke closed but its linkage on the passengers side of the card, while operating the gas pedal linkage to start the engine.

Watching your video It looks like you did not hold the choke closed while the starter was cranking. It will have to be fully closed against the carb body during the cranking process.

Probably not the point, timing. If it fires at all, which it did, this does sound like a fuel supply issue. When it caught did you open the choke wide or keep it partially closed. The factory setting would keep the choke mostly closed until the thermostatic spring warmed up. Letting the choke fall wide open when the engine is not warmed up will result in a lean condition.

Sounds like it wants to run but not getting sufficient fuel.............are you positive the fuel is getting full flow?.

May sound like an obvious question but are you sure their is sufficient fuel in the tank (don't trust old fuel gauges)

Or maybe a blocked filter only letting a small amount in.......enough to fire but not to run.

If not a fuel or choke problem then it's back to electrics as Willie suggested.

Good luck.............I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Edited by buick840 (see edit history)

Ballast resister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, Had that problem on different stuff in the past. Old Tank, JD, is it wired for full power in the start mode and then reduced after in run position on a 56? If I was there with a multi meter in hand I would know in less than a minute. I am just not familiar with the 56 wiring. However, if you run a hot wire from the battery to the plus side of the coil for a test, that will eliminate if it is the ballast, or a wiring problem from the coil back. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I kinda went through the same thing when I brought mine back to life. I plumbed up a temporary fuel supply with a quart container and couple of pieces of fuel hose. Also, I couldn't tell from the video, but put a clear or translucent fuel filter just ahead of the carb so you can see if there is gas in it. You may have other issues going on but I agree with buick840 that is sounds like it is not getting enough gas. Don't give up. When it finally goes you will have a big smile on your face!

Yup, Had that problem on different stuff in the past. Old Tank, JD, is it wired for full power in the start mode and then reduced after in run position on a 56? If I was there with a multi meter in hand I would know in less than a minute. I am just not familiar with the 56 wiring. However, if you run a hot wire from the battery to the plus side of the coil for a test, that will eliminate if it is the ballast, or a wiring problem from the coil back. Dandy Dave!

Like Dandy Dave says...

I replaced the carb with another 2bbl Carter that I had and I put an in line fuel filter. I'm getting clean gas and the carb sprays gas inside. Long story short i parked the car at my girlfriends house because my father doesn't know I bought another old car :). A ballast resistor is 5$ so I don't mind spending that kind money

Old Tank and Dandy Dave.... What a team!!!! They should start their own PBS Radio program. The "Willie and Dave Buick Garage"

Yeah, I put in for the car show thing, But they never asked to see me in person. It is their loss. Dandy Dave!

And then they could ask, WHO'S ON FIRST!

Dale Smith in Indy

Abbott and Costello. :P Yes Sir Dale, They will need a little comedy to keep it fun and interesting. :cool:

• 1 month later...