1929 Series 137 Paint Colors

rob.webb

Hi all,

My dad and I are in the process of painting a series 137 touring car. It had nice original paint on it that we are going to try to copy as closely as possible. The car will be a two tone brown very similar to the Fregonese/Nunnick car in New Jersey.

The underside of the car was entirely painted the dark brown color, which we have duplicated. My question regards the other exterior parts of the car such as the back bracket of the bumpers, the bumper arms, and trunk rack. Would these items have been black or custom painted to match the chassis? I suspect that some parts that would have come off a shelf at final assembly would have been black, but I have no reliable information about this. At the same time I think, "If they went to the trouble to paint the chassis brown, wouldn't they have painted the exterior parts brown as well?" Has anybody else researched this information?

Also, what color should we paint the sills that run along the frame between the front fenders and the engine? I have seen some painted fender color and others painted hood color. I think that they should probably be the lighter hood color, but would appreciate thoughts on this as well.

Thanks!

Edited by rob.webb (see edit history)

Rob , When I restored the 29 137 DC I painted the bumper brackets , bumper backer bars , the same as the chassis color. As well the hood sills should be painted the same as the fender color. You are correct in thinking that they should be "colored" to match what they are in direct contact with. If they were painted different, they would clash. I believe all the chassis was originally black and then if a "colored" chassis was requested ,it was painted over the black. Of coarse this is my observation on what I found working on an original car .I painted all the springs ,driveline, and axles "colored" ,but the transmission , oil pan and engine splash shields Black.

Hi all,

My dad and I are in the process of painting a series 137 touring car. It had nice original paint on it that we are going to try to copy as closely as possible. The car will be a two tone brown very similar to the Fregonese/Nunnick car in New Jersey.

The underside of the car was entirely painted the dark brown color, which we have duplicated. My question regards the other exterior parts of the car such as the back bracket of the bumpers, the bumper arms, and trunk rack. Would these items have been black or custom painted to match the chassis? I suspect that some parts that would have come off a shelf at final assembly would have been black, but I have no reliable information about this. At the same time I think, "If they went to the trouble to paint the chassis brown, wouldn't they have painted the exterior parts brown as well?" Has anybody else researched this information?

Also, what color should we paint the sills that run along the frame between the front fenders and the engine? I have seen some painted fender color and others painted hood color. I think that they should probably be the lighter hood color, but would appreciate thoughts on this as well.

Thanks!