53 Packard acceleration issue in carb - not the pump?

Guest turpentyne

Guest turpentyne

We are working on a '53 Packard with a WCFB carburetor. We rebuilt the carburetor to solve what seemed to be an accelerator pump issue (wanting to stall on acceleration) But the problem is still there. My dad called last night, saying he's taken the top off the carburetor and narrowed down the problem - but not sure how to solve it. The first issue is that the pump seems fine. But the fuel is bypassing through a hole right back into the float bowl, instead of going through the jets.

( I didn't understand where the hole was, from what he was trying to describe.) When he plugs off the hole, the pump squirts fuel just as it's supposed to do, through the jets.

He also mentioned there's a little ball that just seems to be floating there, (I think he means the 'intake ball check' ? ) It doesn't seem right that it just floats in its little area - not seated. is that right? Personally, I suspect it's fine.

I hope that made some sense. I've tried to find some diagrams online to help, but no luck. Elsewhere, people have said to look at the Packard shop manual. We have one, and it doesn't show an illustration of this part of the carburetor. So that leaves me at square one. I'm trying to avoid sending this off to be rebuilt.

Hi

Having read your post here and on the PAC forum, I am pretty sure that the little ball should not be floating around. I suspect this is your problem. There really should be no need to get a professional rebuild. But do look again at the parts in the carb, and think it through logically. Without doing any research (and it is 20 years since I did one of these carbs), I think the ball may be a one-way valve toallow petrol into the accerlerator pump area, and to hold it there for when the pump operates. If it is loose, i think that the pump is just pushing fuel back into the float bowl.

Hope this helps.

Adam. (from the PAC forum).

Without knowing the tag number of the exact carburetor to which you are referring:

MOST type WCFB carburetors have the ball under a retainer which is located UNDER the accelerator pump.

Removing the accelerator pump reveals a steel retainer that resembles a "top hat" with two horizonal half moon grooves. This retainer is pressed into the bottom of the pump well and covers the check ball. These are VERY DIFFICULT to remove without the special Carter tool (currently made from unobtainium). Most don't realize this pressed-in item needs to come out during a rebuild if the ball under the retainer is stuck.

As Adam mentioned, the ball is a one-way valve which allows fuel to be drawn into the pump well when the accelerator pump is lifted. The ball closes when the accelerator pump is pressed down preventing the fuel from going back into the bowl, and the discharge valve (under the pump discharge nozzle a.k.a. squirter) opens, allowing the fuel to discharge properly.

Jon.

Guest turpentyne
Without knowing the tag number of the exact carburetor to which you are referring:

MOST type WCFB carburetors have the ball under a retainer which is located UNDER the accelerator pump.

Removing the accelerator pump reveals a steel retainer that resembles a "top hat"

Jon.

That, plus finally finding a cut-away diagram, explained it. Once I got out this weekend to see the carburetor for myself, I understood what my dad was describing. We'd trusted that the previous rebuild had been done right. For whatever reason the ball was not under the "top hat" - it was under a screw off to the side ( visible in a diagram of the accelerator circuit on this carb )

We corrected the problem. and we're good to go! Thank you, again!