WHO'S GOING TO THE GILMORE IN AUGUST FOR FOUNDATION MEET??

Mssr. Bwatoe

• 1 month later...

It will be interesting to see : I hope there is at least one more Capri Blue there.

I myself have NO idea if the color on my LC is correct.

Still hoping to make it ; have brake and speedometer problems

Guest Jim Zephyr

what sort of brake troubles? My speedo works but I need a new cable for the two-speed ratio converter - I think I can get one made by Connellys Columbia shop hopefully...

At first I thought it was cable problems; it worked for about 37 miles with the new engine in the car, then speedometer never moved from 0 . I check both cables ; all okay. The problem must be in the speedometer itself.

As far as the brakes , the front passenger cylinder had leaked a LOT of brake fluid . I rebuilt that and cleaned the shoes up. Now the brakes work much better , but the pedal "pounds" back at a complete stop. I'm thinking that the brake linings might have to be replaced as they were soaked with fluid.

Mike, I hate to say it but I would pull all wheels or , suspend the rears and then make a few stops...normally the pedal pounding is due to rear issue..front malfunction is reflected by the steering wheel shaking and pulling...broken retainer spring, drum not installed "true" grease on lining ( lots) I would clean the shoes and drums with brake clean spray..

--Speedo with 2 speed the first thing to really look at is the ratio changer on the fire wall...if it is jammed or stuck in middle, it is neutral and could cause the

problem..make sure it works..use a small screwdriver or something and turn it ..

look at cable ends..they should be nice squared off condition to slide into the unit....speedo is pretty simple design that should still move , even when

not quite right..it is a magnet and a pointer that is pretty dependable..the little spring that returns it to 0 can rust or break...

I

Thanks - I am planning to pull all four wheels after the 4th of July . The wheel bearings haven't been looked at

since the Columbia was reinstalled in 2006 . I also noticed that the bearings have "red" grease in them , NOT the recommended Sta-Lube grease for drum brakes. (just going by the Ford Barn forum).

As to the speedometer problem , I removed both cables , the "turtle" on the driveshaft, and the S-W ratio adapter.

The are all on my bench. I repacked the adapter, hooked all cable up and ALL parts are working to the speedometer head.. I have not yet removed the front seat cushion and climbed under the dash.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the folks on this forum and in the club. Unfortunately, I burned up most of my holidays when I drove my latest addition to the collection back to Saskatoon from Ct. in May. So I will 'slink' in to the new museum in some kind of rental car. One day I will drive to one of your meets in a Lincoln.

Mike L.

Thanks all for sharing great photos! Will try to add a couple more. A great museum area, well worth the visit, will go back again in future! Lincoln by far had the best museum building exterior design- most class. And fit many cars inside, from members & Ford corp both. Wall photos/stories were also a real treat - whole thing very well done. Rest of the Gilmore also worth more than $12 entry. Lincolns, Pierce Arrows, Hudsons, Franklins, my wife wanted the pink T-Bird, Caddy v16, Cord, Model T's, steamers, Tucker, muscles, Vettes,.... What a treat!! Guys who put this together & opened 4 years ago had such vision! Cadilac bldg to open soon. Greg/wife did a commendable job organizing such a large group for so many events. Sorry I could only be there Wed-Fri, had to leave early Sat morn- other commitments. Many cars and people there Sat that were not there Friday, Wow, a hopping place! Great to see all 4 Lincoln clubs contributing to the museum and partying together! And I can verify the 83 MPH on the speedo - passed Jeff on the freeway headed home Sat morn while he was headed the other way to the Gilmore, went by in a BLURR, giving his top a real workout -said to my wife "that was Jeff, he was flying, must have been over 80!". So nice to see the Columbia 2-speed back on the road - have to talk more to you about the one piece ring gear, vs pressed ring on the Bullet Proof jobs. Cheers.

Wow. Great photos and video Jeff! I'm glad I got to chat with you.

It was one of my best Lincoln experiences to have been there for the opening of the new museum. We met some very nice owners who shared interesting and informative stories about their cars. It was great catching up with Doug Johnson who I met when he was up in our area of Canada.

Thanks again.

Mike L.