Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo VIC replaced by standard no VIC

I do not believe VIC components are plug and play. I'm pretty sure there is a dash/body wiring harness difference. Meaning, I don't think you can remove a VIC system and replace it with non VIC components - although anything is possible if you have enough time and money. I would avoid a car with VIC.

Paul

Edited by Oldsfan (see edit history)

Well I got one and it still works, but there should be a way to alter the unit to the non VIC one. I wonder if I need to would this be possible.

Well the VIC costs a alot if you can find one. So spending a lot to alter the harness may be just as cost effective.

The car I have is like new in all respects so dropping a grand on it to alter it is worth it to me if need be.

Does anyone recondition these VIC units?

Also why won't the your group expand it's car allowed as antiques. Anything older than 25 years should be allowed, especially to promote preseervation of all Oldsmobiles since they are no more.

Edited by gkhashem (see edit history)

There are two harnesses involved with these cars - an instrument panel wiring harness and a dash wiring harness. Both harnesses are different with or without VIC. There are repair facilities that GM dealers use for radios and instrument clusters. I would think they would be able to make repairs, but they have no units on hand for advanced exchange. You'd have to pull the unit and send it away for repair. You may have to go through a dealer for that. They may not deal with the general public.

A few years ago the NAOC adopted a rolling 35 year cutoff. We currently accept vehicles up through 1979. Next year it will be 1980. This is a lot better than the 1966 cutoff that was in place for many years.

Paul

So why would not one be able to replace the wiring harness for the interior with the harness for a car without the VIC? The instrument cluster is the same in the 1991 with the VIC or without. Work yes but considering what the VIC costs why not?

As far as your club.

They can use whatever cutoff desired for the NAOC but considering no more are being made what's the real issue with accepting them all. Maybe it would encourage more people to save the cars and not use them as a driver. Also get younger people involved who can relate to the newer cars.

Seems kind of exclusive but your club is private so they can do what they want. But why on earth join? I have a 30 year old car with 26,000 miles on it this should clasiify as an antique and it's seems your excluding a lot of potential members.

Whatever the different manufacturers call it, it has made me pass up several nice cars. There are two options that will make me pass- this thing, and Comfortron.
Ah, but they are becoming standard equipment in the cars of today, are they not?

Whatever the different manufacturers call it, it has made me pass up several nice cars. There are two options that will make me pass- this thing, and Comfortron.

I understand your hesitation, I know the risk. While I admit I over paid for the car. I would rather do this than buy a lesser car and have more into it.... making it a money pit. If the VIC holds up I will be fine if not well I get burned. As of now the car is spotless everything works. Look at the wheel shot. All 4 wheels are like this. No dings, dents, R-12 works etc....

This car has won 1st place at the OCA and was best of class for the prior owner. I could not pass on it since I wanted a Trofeo.

You enjoy what you want. I will get what I want. I did not slam your choices. But I sense the negativity for no reason. I know the issues, but all my cars are #2 to 2+ condition. I have a CLC senior car (1991 Cadillac) and a 3rd place car (1966 Cadillac) which scored enough for a 1st place. I for one get tired of guys who need to get their money back. How about the pleasure you get from buying an older car? As long as you don't take a total bath so what?

If that's your attitude don't buy a car unless you can do all the repairs all the body work etc etc etc.... Because unless your lucky your going to lose money.

I also have a 30 year old 88 coupe also with 26K on it like new. Rides like a dream, smooth as tight as a new car. I could care less about a 442 since a good one will cost you an arm and a leg. But a luxury big car ride from yesterday is still big car ride. Your muscle cars of the 60s are not that fast when compared to today's cars.

When I was growing up my father bought 88s to me Oldsmobiles where big cars for the family. The lesser models cost less for a reason years ago. They were lesser cars.

By the way your a moderator??? Is it your job to degrade people's choices. That's the way your comment comes across.

post-80427-143142518857_thumb.jpg

post-80427-143142518866_thumb.jpg

post-80427-14314251887_thumb.jpg

George, no offense meant.

I spent an ungodly sum of money trying to get a Comfortron to work reliably in a 1967 Ninety Eight that was otherwise a very nice car, and that experience, a friend's experience with ATC in a 66 Bonneville Brougham, and talking with Olds Zone service people who said the vast majority of their zone-level service work from 1966-73 involved Comfortron, was all I needed to pass it up on future old car purchases. It can be fixed, just not something I care to fool with again.

The same holds for electronic dashboards. In late 80s I was quoted nearly a grand to replace an electronic dash in a 1982 Thunderbird and took a terrible beating on that car when I traded it in with non-functioning dash. Again, it was a nice car, but I don't want another electronic dash car. When I bought my 02 Grand Marquis, the dealer offered me an electronic dash car for a better price than the same car with analog gauges. I said no thanks.

And I passed up a gorgeous 92 Trofeo four years ago because of its VIC. It was working, but who knew for how long?

Again, no offense meant. It's just something I don't want to fool with again.

I understand I know I have a potential disaster hanging over my head, but the car is flawless. I looked for a car without the screen but oh well.

That's why I asked if the other unit without the screen can go in. The dash is the same so why not. If it costs a $1000 to rewire the harness so what that's less than the screen and your done with it.

I know this can be a big problem but sometimes I do stupid things. As far as other electronic dashes it seems the fix is in the hundreds not thousands.

I went through the same thing with a Bose Radio in my 1991 Eldorado. All the speakers have a circuit board amp. All needed to be rebuilt along with the head. So I spent $500 plus I removed all the door panels and the dash. But it work great now. I should be good for another 20 years.

Plus the 1991 Trofeo is a very very handsome car. I wanted one.