'51 Imperial Convert - Need some Restoration Advice

Guest rdirks

Guest rdirks

I stumbled on to my car almost a year ago via an estate auction and bought it simply because I loved the look and the virtually rust free condition, but knowing very little about these cars except that I had never seen one before and I LOVE owning unique cars. The story goes that the last owner last drove the car sometime in the late 70's started a repaint/minor restoration in the mid-80's but then fell ill and the car sat in his barn until last year. Car came with bumpers/grill, gas tank and some of the trim removed (presumably from the previous attempt at restoration) but is 100% complete. Engine turns but I have not tried to start it. It is very solid, but needs a full restoration to get it to where I would want it to be. It also came with a sedan parts car from which I was able to salvage several parts the were interchangeable, but the hemi in the parts car was junk.

I really want to make a project of this car and I have the skills to do some of the work myself, but do not really have the shop space or the time to put in - so realistically 70-80% of the job would need to be done by a pro. So much for the back story, and on to my questions:

1. I know the car is rare (1 of 650) but it does not seem to particularly popular with collectors. What are your thoughts on whether or not a restoration would make financial sense? (Not looking to make a profit here - just don't want to spend 100k on a car that is only worth 30k at the end of the process)

2. Does anyone have any recommendations on a shop in the NY metro area that has experience with restoring this type of vehicle? Having never done a full soup to nuts restoration, I would like to at least get some conversations started so that I better understand what I would be getting in to.

Thanks in Advance

-Rich

I say clean it up as best you can and drive it. You can always upgrade parts while driving it and enjoying it. Don't rush into a restoration if the car is already presentable.

• Like 1

The following on these cars is not the largest group of enthusiasts.

Your comment of financial sense is spot on. Most money spent on your car should be considered to go towards your enjoyment. Which there should be plenty in this car.

These days there is no big profit to be made restoring cars unless they are high end collectables. These hobby cars and their owners best be enjoyed within ones budget.

Guest rdirks
I say clean it up as best you can and drive it. You can always upgrade parts while driving it and enjoying it. Don't rush into a restoration if the car is already presentable.

I wish I could adopt that philosophy, but unfortunately the pictures make it look a bit more presentable than it really is. Probably the thing that bothers me the most is all of the pitted Korean war era pot metal trim which from what I've read here is big $$$ by itself to repair and re-chrome.

I love the 1951-52 Imperial cars-especially your ragtop! Chrome on them is near impossible to find--- good and or NOS. You will find it one piece at a time and 20 years later. Re-plating rough Korean chrome-risky IMO.

I'd keep that car myself and get er done regardless of cost as I like them.

Edited by c49er
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Follow the advice here and do not jump into a full restoration. Get it assembled and running and fix/clean/repair as needed. You will regret tearing that car down for a full restoration. There is a lot of experience on this forum that will back that up.

If all of your potmetal is as pitted as I would expect of a NY area car, expect to spend upwards of $10,000 on properly done chrome plating using the acid-copper sub surface to fill those pits on all the pot metal parts. Now the rest of the restoration, professionally done, is going to be an exponential multiplier of that number. IT IS A GREAT CAR.

• Like 1

Guest rdirks

Thanks for all the help so far guys - Slow and steady seems to be the way to go. I certainly cannot see a downside to getting it back together and running. At least that way I will know so much more about the car and better understand the potential problem areas before jumping into a restoration.

StillOutThere - I appreciate you actually putting a ballpark # on the cost of the chrome work. I don't particularly like the #, but it helps me plan none the less. This car spent it entire life in NH so there is tons of pitting in the pot metal. In fact there is one of the grill pieces (I have 2 full grills and the same piece is broken in the same place:mad:) and one of the fender skirt spears that are actually broken - can pot metal be repaired?? Posting some pics for reference.

post-100576-143142505982_thumb.jpg

post-100576-143142505949_thumb.jpg

post-100576-143142505959_thumb.jpg

post-100576-143142505967_thumb.jpg

post-100576-143142505975_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdirks (see edit history)

I have both right and left Mopar new old stock rear fender stone shields for the 1951-2 Imperial convertible. I have some other chrome die cast too-maybe headlamp doors and possibly the skirt spear depending on which side.

Bob

Guest rdirks
I have both right and left Mopar new old stock rear fender stone shields for the 1951-2 Imperial convertible. I have some other chrome die cast too-maybe headlamp doors and possibly the skirt spear depending on which side.

Bob

Bob- Would definitely be interested in the spear if it is drivers side (are they different?) and perhaps anything else you may have depending on condition/price. When you get a chance to look -please feel free to PM me with details

Thanks-Rich

Guest Bob Call

Rich

Do you still have the sedan parts car? The hemi engine is not junk unless the block and heads have hugh hole and/or cracks. The entire engine or the parts have a market at: www.hothemiheads.com in their swap meet forum.

I have a 52 Imperial sedan. Like yours all the shiney stuff is the pits. So, I'm putting on all new brakes, fixing the power windows, having the front seat rebuilt, and driving and enjoying it. You should do the same. Put yours together making sure it has good brakes and steering and have fun. These are great old cars, first class engineering for its day, but no real interest in the collector market so not real valuable regardless of scarcity.

Does the parts car have the door sill trim plates? My car is missing them and it looks like nobody repops them. If you have them I would be interested in buying them.

Bob Call

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest rdirks
Rich

Do you still have the sedan parts car? The hemi engine is not junk unless the block and heads have hugh hole and/or cracks. The entire engine or the parts have a market at: www.hothemiheads.com in their swap meet forum.

I have a 52 Imperial sedan. Like yours all the shiney stuff is the pits. So, I'm putting on all new brakes, fixing the power windows, having the front seat rebuilt, and driving and enjoying it. You should do the same. Put yours together making sure it has good brakes and steering and have fun. These are great old cars, first class engineering for its day, but no real interest in the collector market so not real valuable regardless of scarcity.

Does the parts car have the door sill trim plates? My car is missing them and it looks like nobody repops them. If you have them I would be interested in buying them.

Bob Call

Sorry Bob - the parts car is long gone - it did have a pretty good crack in the block and never had the door sill plates (or doors for that matter) -good luck in the hunt (I'm still trying to convince myself that it is part of the fun:))

Guest rdirks

Does anyone know if the '51 Imperial convertible came with side view mirrors? I’m doing a detailed inventory of the parts I have for this car using a 1952 parts manual that came with it and it seems to indicate no. I have 2 side view mirrors that look like they could be correct (part # 1520587), but based on the # alone may be from a newer car.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Mine are similar, but clearly not correct. One more thing to put on the search list.

I currently own a 1954 Chrysler Windsor deluxe convertible. no Korean war trim, all chrome or stainless. I had a 1953 imperial and found out fast that the trim and chrome in good condition was extinct. these cars, as well built as they are just do not get high marks for collectability, and low prices when up for sale. you will like to drive and show this car, but a huge investment in $$$ will not come back your way soon.my car is a true survivor and I have put time and not a lot of money to get it driving very well. your car is a true beauty, and there will be many admirers, but the muscle cars and others always steal the show. I used to live on long island and the Windsor drove around there until 2008. now it is in NC. I drove it here, so these cars are great for trips, especially the hemi. drive it first, and then decide on its restoration. capt den

Guest rdirks
funny how on every forum I go on as soon as I answer a thread it ends.i try to be polite and informative and stick to the topic. doesn,t work. capt den

Capt. Den - Well let's break that streak right here. I appreciate your thoughts and your comments are in agreement with what others have posted -so thank you.

I had the car running over the weekend- sort of. May need a fuel pump as I could not get it to draw fuel and would only run for a few seconds with gas/starting fluid down the carb. I'm at the point where I need to decide to commit the time and $ this car will need or pass it along to someone with more knowledge and skills than I have. Still on the fence.

-Rich

Rich, thanks for the reply. the streak is broken. tough to decide about the car, but it will take time, money, and labor. along with knowledge, that you will gain slowly.i will be on long island in july. if I can offer any insight into this car let me know. try going on the P15- d24 website for a lot of info on these cars. the carb may just be gummed up from sitting and the fuel pump diaphragm is probably shot. needs a rebuild anyway to use ethanol gas. capt den

• 1 month later...

I had three 1951-52 Imperials, a seven passenger sedan, a limo, and a 4 door sedan. All great cars just like yours. The limo had a similar problem as yours and my cause was a clogged fuel filter located in the fuel tank. They had a ceramic filter inside the tank. Had to break it up and all was well. Connect a gas can to your fuel pump and bypass the fuel line from the tank. If it runs OK that is probably your problem assuming everything is OK from the fuel pump forward.

Capt. Den - Well let's break that streak right here. I appreciate your thoughts and your comments are in agreement with what others have posted -so thank you.

I had the car running over the weekend- sort of. May need a fuel pump as I could not get it to draw fuel and would only run for a few seconds with gas/starting fluid down the carb. I'm at the point where I need to decide to commit the time and $ this car will need or pass it along to someone with more knowledge and skills than I have. Still on the fence.

-Rich

My son acquired a '46 Chrysler convertible under similar circumstances. He has just finished rebuilding the engine and is in the process of re-assembling it with what he has, pitted chrome, any many other less than perfect pieces. He'll be driving it around with the top down until he can afford to replace it. Seeing a not so perfect old Chrysler convertible moving down the road or at a car show is better than not seeing one at all! This is part of the reason I think Rat Rods became so popular. PUT IT TOGETHER AND DRIVE IT !

Guest rdirks

Got the word a few weeks back that I will be relocating so I guess that makes the decision for me. Will be putting this one up on e-bay later today:(

Got the word a few weeks back that I will be relocating so I guess that makes the decision for me. Will be putting this one up on e-bay later today:(

Why not take the car with you. I relocated from WI to MI and brought my cars with me. All that's left to move is my wife and her furniture. I couldn't leave my babies behind!

Guest rdirks

Larry - I hear you - it was not an easy choice. I sell this car knowing that I will most likely never find another one. Right now I need to focus on moving my real kids, wife, animals, stuff, etc.....Going from east coast to west coast - big move.

Anyway car is on ebay -http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Imperial-Convertible-/321451522078

-Rich

Edited by rdirks (see edit history)