1948 New Yorker -Gas Tank

Guest Meems_Boat

Guest Meems_Boat

OK. Lots of good info on this forum. My car sat in a garage (covered) since 1957. I'm going to do the usual stuff to get her running as has been suggested here. The gas in the tank is long gone. The float was stuck at a half tank so there's probably residue from 10 to 15 gallons in the tank. The tank is solid but needs a thourogh cleaning. What is the best way to accomplish this task?

If gas sat in that very hard to find 20 gallon eight cylinder tank for 57 years I doubt that it will clean up very well and be a good solid safe to use tank.

I have been through this many times in the past with the 1946-8 chrysler tanks when doing restorations on them.

You can buy a repro 17 gallon (Six cylinder) tank that will fit if you find the six tank straps. It fits all 1942-48 Mopar cars.

You might get lucky with your tank though..

Be careful when removing the gas line from the tank as there is a short little brass crush connector fitting that will fall out of the tank fitting as the line is pulled out.

Guest Meems_Boat

Thanks for the heads up C49er; and the optimism 28 Chrysler. I guess I'll just pull the tank and take it somewhere for inspection and/or cleaning and keep my fingers crossed.

There is a flat round Oilite fine screening filter at the end of the gas tank pick up tube that must be broken open if the tank is cleaned... as it is not cleanable and will cause fuel starvation on a sludgy tank even after cleaning.

I would not coat the tank if it were mine. JMO and grief on resto jobs!

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Yes and the screen is like a small saucer and is too big to go thru the filler pipe or gauge hole. I don't know how to get it out without cutting a hole in the tank.

I suppose you would have to bend it to remove it, then replace it with a modern plastic or nylon screen filter.

Guest Meems_Boat

Got it! That's why I'm checking with you guys before I rush into this. May ask a few dumb questions along the way though.

I must back up a bit. It's not really necessary to put a sock filter on the pick up tube after removing the oilite filter which should be removed if the tank requires professional cleaning.

A external fuel filter should be installed that can be serviced. The sock might get clogged and not be able to be replaced.

Guest Meems_Boat

Thanks for the additional info. I'm taking it to a pro, and I will make sure that he does it right.

Guest Meems_Boat

Just from a peek into the access hole and the condition of the float/gauge (which is now working fine) I'm going to say there's no saving the screen - tank will need a food cleaning. But the tank looks solid. Got a quote to clean and coat but he hasn't looked at it yet. C49er you say don't coat? I'm listening. I will definitely ask about my guys experience with oldr cars. I want to do it right. On that note, looking for a good guy in metro Detroit who might do this kind of stuff.

I work doing restorations on mostly 40's 50's Mopars and have dealt with lined tanks. . The sealer can -(not saying it always does) separate from the metal and thats not a good thing.

We find a good clean tank to use or a new tank if available.

Talk to plenty of people about this to make a good decision.

All this is JMO.

Guest Meems_Boat
I work doing restorations on mostly 40's 50's Mopars and have dealt with lined tanks. . The sealer can -(not saying it always does) separate from the metal and thats not a good thing.

We find a good clean tank to use or a new tank if available.

Talk to plenty of people about this to make a good decision.

All this is JMO.

Thanks. Your opinion has been pretty reliable so far...:). This car has some family history and I want to make sure that I do it right.

Edited by Meems_Boat (see edit history)

I have cleaned and coated a few tanks. The work, the stink, and the expense are unbelievable and you still have an old leaky tank. Today I would simply install a new tank if one is available.

If a new tank is not available. I looked for a tank for a 49 Chrysler a while back and couldn't find one. But I did find a Universal fit tank of practically the same dimensions for $80. It would have required adding a filler tube but this work can be done by a rad shop or sheet metal shop for a modest cost.