Rear bumper

bob duffer

I just took off my rear bumper to get it re-chromed and there is only one center piece. I thought there was a top and bottom.

It seems someone has welled the two pcs together. Is this how it is supposed to be or should i cut the welds out and have 2 pcs?

The car was backed into a wall by the previous owner and the dents need to be pulled .

thanks

post-100205-143142497218_thumb.jpeg

post-100205-143142497231_thumb.jpeg

post-100205-143142497242_thumb.jpeg

I just took off my rear bumper to get it re-chromed and there is only one center piece. I thought there was a top and bottom.

It seems someone has welled the two pcs together. Is this how it is supposed to be or should i cut the welds out and have 2 pcs?

The car was backed into a wall by the previous owner and the dents need to be pulled .

thanks

Hi, The main section of the rear bumper is one piece on a 55 and should not be in two pcs.

Neil

Hi Bob, the 1956 T-Bird bumper is 4 pieces, a right hand and left hand outer piece and center upper and lower piece. I am pretty sure that the upper section bolts to the lower center section. If it is welded it was probably done as a repair in the past and I guess it makes sense to cut the welds off. Once you do that you will probably figure out the reason why it was welded. Good luck with the repair.