1957 Olds engine (371 Cu/In) fuel pump

My 1957 Olds 98 fuel pump just gave up. It is the same as the 56 engine pump---has a glass sediment bowl on the bottom. I have a rebuilt pump on my shelf (Box says part # 4397) that is for a '57---but for the later model so it DOES NOT HAVE THE GLASS BOWL on the bottom.

Since I am REPLACING---NOT REBUILDING--I assume the two pumps are interchangeable!!!!!! Is this correct???

Thanks for any prompt replays.

PITMAN

Edited by pitman
incorrect info (see edit history)

you shouldn't have any problem using the 4397 fuel pump, just make sure to compare both fuel pumps side by side for identical mounting, arm, fuel line location. i hope you're using a good fuel filter. i've had both a 57 olds 88, and 57 olds 98. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor. p.s. the aftermarket part number that i come up with for 1957 olds fuel pumps is #4540.

Edited by pontiac1953
more info (see edit history)

I agree, look it over closely to see if it mounts the same. I believe the 371 was used through 1960 in 88's with 2bbl carbs. This pump may have been correct for those, but could possibly be used on earlier models.

Guest Olds88_1956

i was in the other boat a few years ago...1956 fuel pumps run 4 psi and the 1957 fuel pumps are a 7 psi system.

It took me awhile, but I did find right fuel pump...there are rebuilding kits readily available too.

Thanks for all the help----Another gentleman that rebuilds fuel pumps informed me that the 4397 and 4540 are the same pump--one is a newer part #--so The one I have should work OK. I will know better when I pull the bad one and compare them. AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONES.

Pitman