1928 Oldsmobile barn find

Found this 28 Oldsmobile in my town was sold and has stayed here it's whole life. It only has 16,000 original miles. It is a one owner car that has been off the road since 1954. The motor is free and fired up with some starting fluid. My plan is to leave it alone and only do what it needs. I am missing the 18 inch wire wheels for the side Mounts. Other items missing T handle for side mount would like a better fuel pump core for rebuilding also would like to find a patina matching trunk for the back of the car if anybody has anything please call 860-250-9281 thank you

post-90773-143142494367_thumb.jpg

post-90773-143142494391_thumb.jpg

post-90773-143142494414_thumb.jpg

post-90773-143142494438_thumb.jpg

Guest mikeburch

GREAT looking car ! GREAT find !

What you want to put on that old original paint is GIBBS OIL. You will have to Google it to find where to order it.

GIBBS OIL is what the antique motorcycle guys use to bring out the paint colors on their

barn find" motorcycles.

You can get a preview of what it will look like by spraying a little bit of WD-40 on a small section of your paint. GIBBS OIL will do a better job and it will last longer.

I am not connected to GIBBS OIL, in any way.

mikeburch

Edited by mikeburch (see edit history)

Thank you Mike I will look into that product. I started cleaning the car and used WD-40 and already makes a world of difference. Seen some old motorcycles and had wondered what they were using thank you for that information.

Guest myold88

Great barn find. I see Ct plates. I'm so jealous- Can you tell us hat town it was in and how you found it ?

Looks like you found the extra wheels & trunk quickly. Nice.

I live in Stafford Springs Connecticut. I was driving in town one weekend last summer and a local business owner had it out front for sale. Car has a lot of local history a farmer bought it new at an Oldsmobile dealership in town and has stayed here ever since. The original owner house is not far from where I live now. I'm not originally from Stafford Springs. I grew up in east Hartford Connecticut but could not pass up an opportunity to put this car back on the road. I'm currently not a member of any club but support and enjoy the AACA. I really like participating in the Connecticut show and really enjoy Hershey Pennsylvania in the fall.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a 1928 or 29 Olds artwork magazine ad around, and the car in it is identical to yours colorwise, right down to the yellow pinstripe. Background is a gorgeous Western sunset.

I bought the ad and when I took it in for framing the framer and I were going nuts trying to find a mat color that would make it pop. High school boy working there came over and looked at the ad, pulled a dark green and a yellow that matched the pinstripe. When he laid it next to the ad, it exploded.

Guess I should mention the boy's dad is one of the best body and paint guys in the area, so it stands to reason he'd have exceptional color stylist skill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Jay,

I too love your Olds!

I see that you found a trunk but..... wondered what you might think of this one?

post-36036-143142606397_thumb.jpg

Dad bought it thinking it would be OK for our '28 Whippet but it has the slanted back to fit on a sedan like yours. I started to clean it up a bit and then came across another one that will work better and is black so....

post-36036-143142606402_thumb.jpg

It will need some work as you can see but has some patina and is green (not sure it matches yours).

Just a thought.