FS 1946 Limousine $2200 Craigslist N of New Orleans

55chevy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The ad is back up, but no photo and the seller has no phone number in his post. The post has minimal content. I have contacted him for more information. In a purging I sold all of my automotive history books. He says it's a 356 motor and a SUPER. But what does that mean in practical terms? Is it a "Custom Super Clipper" limousine or a lesser car, so to speak?

In 1946 the only long wheelbase cars produced were all Custom Super Clippers, so it should have a 356ci engine and would be a top of the line Packard. But I wouldn't buy that one without a careful personal inspection. The blackout windows indicate to me that perhaps a previous owner didn't care much about originality... I do (but that's just me).

Edit: If the car has a complete, turns-by-hand, un-cracked 356 with all the peripherals (gear reduction starter, correct Carter Carstarter Carburetor, correct electrics, then the price is interesting.

Edited by JD in KC (see edit history)

I haven't seen the pictures but if the numbers were from the data plate, the date on the data plate is stamped there by the dealer and represents the date of sale for warranty purposes. A 1650 is a 1946 21st series limousine, this one was the 277th one built. In 1947 the model number would have been 2150 (still a 21st series) as Packard started using the series number as the first two digits of the model. They maintained this numbering until 1954 when the year was used through the end of Detroit production.

Things got really interesting for the 22nd/23rd series when factory renumbering was used for unsold models. I have a 1950 that was built as a 1949 with a 1949 (23rd series) model/serial number but sold and registered as a 1950 with a 1950 model/serial number.

The big question is whether or not the car was inundated by water during a hurricane. If the car is far enough north of New Orleans then you are probably safe in that regard.

The steering wheel is visible through the window so the dark windows are probably just a result of the car cover that is still over the passenger side of the car.

I check the block, it place that do see freezing weather where people get trouble when a once 20 year freeze hit. I found out the hard way on 42. We drain in the summer when the valve job was done, did not put antifreeze in "as I was going to flush the system." I got called out of town for work and ouch a December freeze. 17 degrees. Engine and tranny probably worth $2000, especially if senior series and has Overdrive too> not sure it be R-9 or R-11

The seller has returned my email and I'll look at the car on behalf of Imperial62, hopefully when seller returns early next week.

I live 10-15 minutes from the location. That area was totally inundated with flood water during Hurricane Katrina, but hopefully the car was not there at that time - It was August and Sept, 2005

Thanks Marty! It's good to know AACA members all over the country.

My pleasure Bryan, a lot of folks all over the country have offered to help me at various times,

and I believe in paying it forward whenever possible

this is a great hobby, and the overwhelming percentage of folks in the hobby will go to extremes without expecting anything in return.

Hopefully the Packard will check out OK - the seller is vacationing at Grand Isle, LA down by the Gulf of Mexico (where we used to keep our boat and "Fishin' Camp" LYNDALE).

My wife spent every weekend there from the time she was born.