Hupp 20 Manifold Pattern Questions

MochetVelo

The Hupmobile Model 20 intake manifold pattern arrived. It was made years ago, I assume. The name "Pat Ainslee" is on it. Anyway, the photos show what I have. The main pattern is nested in a fitted holder. I'm not sure why, however. Also, I got one core pattern, which I think is the core for the "heated air" passage (the air passage nearest the engine block that's heated off the exhaust manifold). I believe there should be another core pattern for the outer air passage and top (horizontal) intake passages which feed the engine. A question arises here: would it be plausible to change the design a bit to make only one air passage the length of the manifold, instead of two? The core pattern I have is quite heavy. It's built on a 1/2" metal plate. Any thoughts?

Phil

post-52500-143142490284_thumb.jpg

post-52500-143142490277_thumb.jpg

post-52500-143142490281_thumb.jpg

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

Looks good I'm tempted to have a spare cast for my car! I suspect looking at the patterns that these patterns were used to cast mine as the " H I" casting mark is in the exact same place as mine . If you want I can post some photos of mine tomorrow -Karl

As promised attached are Photos of mine. Looks really good as far as I can see will need the inlet ports resurfaced to make flat . Will need a need a threaded plug made for the base. The lugs that the clamps attach to will need to be filed smooth. Interesting if you look closely at the outside (as mounted) surface there are a series of filled holes I wonder if this relates some how to the casting method ?post-60857-143142492412_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143142492398_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143142492402_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143142492405_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143142492407_thumb.jpg

post-60857-143142492409_thumb.jpg

Yes, looks like my pattern, Karl. Had it been used before? It's been machined, I see. Any idea when it was cast?

I'm scheduled to visit a pattern maker next Tuesday, with hopes he can help get the pattern ready for casting again.

Phil

I visited the pattern maker today. He had a nice one-man shop in the green countryside near Lancaster, PA. Very traditional: a pile of wood cut-outs in the middle surrounded by large band saws, milling machine, lathe, sanders, etc. No CNC or 3D printers. Anyway, we both regretted my pattern is missing the second core mold, but he will study what I have and give me a price. Hope is isn't shopping for a new boat.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned some more about the manifold pattern. The wood, form-fitted to the main pattern is called the "parting block". It determines where the pattern halves in the sand casting. The pattern maker also informs me that I am missing two core molds for the pattern, so these must be made. I hope I don't pay off the guy's mortgage, but I told him "full speed ahead".

Phil