Universal joints and wheel bearings.

ricosan

I have a 1932 8-125. At speeds above 35 mph I get a noticeable vibration from the drive train. There is also a lot of noise coming from the left rear wheel. How would I go about locating replacement bearings and universal joints for these areas?

ricosan

Here are a few pictures of my rear end. There is noise and vibration coming from the rear of the car. I suspect it's one of the wheel bearings and possibly differential bearings and a worn out ring & pinion gear. I don't see any universal joints. Are they located inside the torque tube?

I am thinking that this rear end is the same unit that is in the other cars from probably 1930 on. This is 1932 so I don't think they would be putting in new designs for the rear end when the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. I think that they would be using the same bearings and gears as the year before. Correct me if I am wrong.

Having said that, has anyone replaced bearings or gears in a late model Marmon? I need the serial numbers so that I can order the parts prior to dismantling my rear end. I'd like to have the bearings on hand when I remove the old bearings. I fear the ones that are in the hub now may fall apart when I remove them.

The torque tube needs attention too. I don't know anything about them. Has anyone rebuilt a torque tube?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Still waiting to hear from George at Olcar.

ricosan

post-97329-143142492268_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142493263_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142493265_thumb.jpg

Edited by ricosan (see edit history)