WHEN THEY WERE NEW - V12 INSTALLATION

Guest Jim Zephyr

Lincoln-Zephyr H100000 (One Hundred Thousand) was reserved for that Continental Cabriolet, pretty neat that they would document it. I wonder if this one survives? Transmission was on too!

Dave Cole in an article he wrote for LCOC's maazine Continental Comments winter edition #95 reports that Lincoln Zephyr #100000 was reported junked out, no longer exists by member Larry Petit of Van Nuys, California. Now recycled and enjoying a new life as possibly part of a newer Lincoln...

Great photo - never saw before, thanks for sharing! Wonder if all 40 engines were installed with the same lift equipment or not. If I remember correct David telling us at Charlotte a few years back, that they basically pulled 3-4 cars off the Zephyr assembly line each day from the 100 cars made and turned them into Continentals, custom hand-made at a side operation. Welded on hood extensions, extended fenders, lowered, polished the heads, .... (thus 3 times the price). The 12" wide + or - insulation strip on the underside of many early 40 Cont. longer hoods was to cover up the weld joint. Then in 41 they had actual special long stamped hoods and fenders...... in stock for the Continentals and didn't have to modify the standard parts on the fly as much, was a more steam-lined custom operation. So they may have fitted the custom Continental engines a little different off to the side, vs the high volume cars down the main production line. Paul

Guest Jim Zephyr

Hi John, yes I remember now the article mentioning scrap out. It was fun to imagine it still out there...