1926 Chrysler model 60

Guest austincar6

Guest austincar6

I just pick up a 1926 Chrysler. On the passenger side front corner of the body is a Fisher body tags. Normally I see Fisher body tags on GM products. my question is did Fisher body build bodies for Chrysler?

Fisher Body Co started in Detroit in 1904 and made bodies for many different cars. GM bought 60% of the company in 1919 and Fisher became integrated entirely as a coachbuilding division of GM in 1926.

Yours would be one of the last bodies made for a customer outside the GM fold.

Guest austincar6

I have to try to get a better photo of her sometime. The only thing I am missing so far is the brake master cylinder. Any idea on where to get one?

You might try here.....http://www.applehydraulics.com/

or here....http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

My books show the Model 60 as new for 1927, not 1926. It may have been sold in 1926 and titled as a 1926 even though it is a 1927. That was common practice back then to title as the year sold. I used to have a 1926 Model 58.....loved it!

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest austincar6

How do these cars hold up touring? I know the engine in these cars are bulletproof with the seven main bearings. I hear the brakes can be problematic if you let them set.

The Chrysler 60 was introduced mid-season 1926 and this one looks to have the early style wheels - five lug 20". The later ones have four lug wheels, but I am unsure of the changeover date. There should be casting dates on head and block. The actual production date will probably be a few weeks after the casting date.

I read somewhere that Chrysler bought one of the Fisher body plants and continued to use it to make their own bodies.

Did fisher have anything to do with Holdens Motor Body builders in Australia as I have a holdens body on my chassis which was supposed to be a 1930 series 66 but since joinging this site have discovered it is a 1925 chassis. Were GM associated with Holden in Oz as they were taken over in 30's by GM and became GMH

mcgoo

• 2 weeks later...

In the U.S. Chrysler purchased an auto body plant across from the East Jefferson plant in 1926 - Chrysler called it the Kercheval Avenue body plant. It was a multi-storey plant that during the 1940's has a large "Fluid Drive" sign along the top. Forget who Chrysler purchased the plant from, but it was not Fisher.

Chrysler of Canada, though, acquired one the Fisher Body plants in Windsor at the SE corner of Edna and St.Luke. They used the plant to build bodies until the new plant on what is now Chrysler Centre was completed. Chrysler used the plant again from 1938 through 1945 for storage. The Canadian Chalmers plant was located just east of the Fisher Body plant on St.Luke. A fire destroyed the Chalmers plant in 1917 while the Fisher Body plant was destroyed by fire in the 1970's.

Fisher Body has three plants in the neighborhood. The second was right next to the Chalmers plant on St.Luke. It was used for GM truck bodies.

The third was across from the second plant at the corner of Charles Street. It was used by Packard as an assembly plant in 1936-1939, army barracks in 1940-1945, Kaiser-Frazer of Canada head office and parts warehouse 1947-1953 and is now a senior citizens residence.

Holden in Australia built bodies for many makes prior to WWII, including Chrysler, Willys and Graham (used Australian 1935 Chev bodies on 1936-37 Graham Crusader chassis). By the late 1930's Holden built bodies solely for GM makes, just as Fisher Body did starting in 1927.

Guest art s

Hello austincar6, We have a 28 model 72 golf club coupe. It too has a Fisher body. I am told it is the last year that Fisher built bodies for any companies other than GM

Guest austincar6

Art s sound like a neat car. Is she restored?

Dose any one know if there any body blueprint copy available?

How do these cars hold up touring? I know the engine in these cars are bulletproof with the seven main bearings. I hear the brakes can be problematic if you let them set.

One of the best built cars of the day, especially considering the price. Well suited to touring. Certain things you need to keep in mind.

In those days Chrysler model names came from the top speed of the car. So the 60 model topped out at 60MPH or a little more. This means, cruising speeds in the 30 - 45 range if you don't want to beat the car to death.

Heavier models like the 70, 72, 75 and Imperial 80 were faster.

In 1926 a top speed of 60 was practically a racing speed. As in "going like 60" or "going a mile a minute".

The engine has 7 mains but this was before insert bearings were invented (by Chrysler, by the way). So, some respect due to the aged poured babbitt bearings.