1952 olds rocket 88 project

Guest Punchdrunkd

Guest Punchdrunkd

Wass sup im from Las Vegas got a 1952 oldsmobile rocket 88, I was hoping I could get help here on my project first is I can't seem to find anywhere in the web a parts catalog for these cars like they do for chevy tri fives or trucks. I'm trying to install a chevy 350/350 I got but wanting to know what I need for the conversion since on their cars they sell aftermarket motor mounts or trans mounts for swaps but no luck on these anyone know where I can start with finding someone who makes parts for these olds. Or what I might require to achieve this installation

hi, what you're wanting to get done, installing a chevy 350, where your 1952 oldsmobile 88 has a rocket 303, is greatly frowned upon here. this forum and the aaca in general, is all about restoring and preserving vehicles with their original equipment, you might want to call up gasmonkey in dallas, tx. for want you want to do. if you change your mind, and decide to keep the olds all original has olds had built it in 1952, then you'll find this forum is one of the greatest on the web for helping people restore their classic automobile. good luck there in las vegas.

I see that 1953 Pontiac didn't answer your parts source question. There is a catalog produced by Fusick which will cover many of the parts you need to do for a real restoration. If you want to make the car into a street rod, yes, that will be a mistake you will regret later and that catalog may or may not help you. If you do the right thing, then the catalog will help you. Here's hoping you change your mind about modifying and thus ruining your Olds. You need to remember that in its day the Olds Rocket was a big winner in NASCAR. Do you need to go faster than that?

Guest Punchdrunkd
I see that 1953 Pontiac didn't answer your parts source question. There is a catalog produced by Fusick which will cover many of the parts you need to do for a real restoration. If you want to make the car into a street rod, yes, that will be a mistake you will regret later and that catalog may or may not help you. If you do the right thing, then the catalog will help you. Here's hoping you change your mind about modifying and thus ruining your Olds. You need to remember that in its day the Olds Rocket was a big winner in NASCAR. Do you need to go faster than that?

Yea we actually have two olds one has the running 303 in it, but on this we bought the car and it's missing a lot engine and trans as well so I have a sbc laying around and figured I can use it to get the the car going

Guest Punchdrunkd
hi, what you're wanting to get done, installing a chevy 350, where your 1952 oldsmobile 88 has a rocket 303, is greatly frowned upon here. this forum and the aaca in general, is all about restoring and preserving vehicles with their original equipment, you might want to call up gasmonkey in dallas, tx. for want you want to do. if you change your mind, and decide to keep the olds all original has olds had built it in 1952, then you'll find this forum is one of the greatest on the web for helping people restore their classic automobile. good luck there in las vegas.

Ohh say whaa I might just give em a call ;)

Start digging thru old speed equipment catalogs and see if Hurst, Anchor or some company like those made motor mounts to put SBC into the 1952 Olds chassis. Then start searching old parts houses or ebay for those part numbers. Even if they're made, odds are it will still require some fabrication. Back in the 60s one of the Hurst Performance slogans was "Anything is possible with motor mounts by Hurst"- or that's what their ads said http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3676/9502984259_1f75ca908e_z.jpg

But yeah, you won't get near as much grief if you go Olds 350 or 455 as you will trying to stuff that Chevy lump in there. Most of us here are not convinced a small block chevy engine is the answer to all old car drivetrain problems. I think they're a boring choice of powerplant meself, but I'm in a definite minority there...

The HAMB crowd loves early Rockets so they'll probably encourage finding an Olds engine and HydraMatic too. Really, any 1949-64 Olds Rocket engine and HMT should be a near drop-in for this car, but if you have the Chevy mill laying around, you'll just have to do some fab work to put it in there. And then you'll have a me-too boring-ass Chevy-powered old car.

• 1 year later...