Buick/Packard Convertible Parts Interchange?

Guest BuickCJ

Guest BuickCJ

Hi All - -

The other day, I was at the doctor's waiting for my wife at her appointment. I struck up a conversation with a chap who was into old cars. When I mentioned my car (1938 Buick) he mentioned he knew a man who was trying to locate parts for his '39 Packard convertible. I am not a convertible person, but mentioned the AACA and BCA club blogs as possible sources for info. I also provided this info in written form. Further, I suggested that he try and find someone in the Packard Club who had a similar vehicle so he could have the missing parts photographed and identified.

I went on to speculate that since convertibles were rarer than closed top cars, that the manufacturers possibly did not become involved and either sent the car to a supplier/jobber or had them come to the plants with the needed parts to install them. I know Buicks sent the radios and heaters in the trunk for dealer installation. So, I am interested in knowing if possibly, Buick and Packard used the same supplier for convertible frames, material, etc. If so, who was the supplier? Thank you in advance for your kind assistance. I will see that the person with the Packard gets the information.

BuickCJ

'38 Century - - see photo.

Guest BuickCJ

Hi R32 - -

Sorry, I don't have that info. Never met the owner - - just this chap at the doctor's office. I thought I could get a "heads up" on what resources were out there. All I know is that he is a dentist in town, so (being a small town) he shouldn't be too hard to track down. I thought I recall hearing this fellow tell me he needed possibly frame parts other than the fabric. At the time I thought he needed pistons, etc., but I am not sure if '39's used them. Buicks didn't for a few more years. Hope that helps. CJ