Toggle switch under dash

Guest gursey

Guest gursey

Hello. I am new to this forum, so please be patient with me if I am posting this incorrecty.

While fixing the fuse on my radio, I noticed a switch maounted under the dash near the igition. It runs a pump between the fuel tank and the engine. My mechanic told me that he found this same switch on a 56 t-bird in his shop. Miine looks aftermarker, but the one on the 56' looks stock. Doers anyone know why this is used? I have not been using it and the car has run fine. I have a 55'.

Thanks for any help.

Greg

Hi Greg,

That is definitely aftermarket in both cases. People put in the electric fuel pump to help ensure that the carburetor float bowl is filled before starting. Sometimes if the car has not been driven for a while the bowl will empty and the it will take a lot of cranking to start the car. This is especially problematic with the 6V electrical system that is standard on the 1955 model. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have any problems with starting. If you do then flip the switch, pump the accelerator pedan and then start the car. Once it starts you can turn off the electric fuel pump.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

• 1 month later...
Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

I also had this problem on my 55 T-Bird after it was stored for 6 months.

The engine turned but did not start. I installed an electric fuel pump as you can see in the photo.

It's installed temporarily in the engine compartment.

It will be reinstalled under the car and in front of the fuel tank when I have time.

Is it necessary to have a toggle switch for the pump which operates only when needed or if it can work all the time?

http://zupimages.net/up/14/23/0hrk.jpg

55Enjoy,

I think it is a bad idea to keep it on all the time. If you would (perish the thought) get into an accident the pump could keep running as long as it is electrified. That is not a good thing, in my estimation. Shutting it off once the car starts is the way to go, IMHO.

Regards,

Lew

Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

Thank you Lew,

You have a strong argument for a set-up that will work only in case of need!

Thank you again!icon7.png