1926 DB Coupe

Rogillio

I am so excited! I just bought a 1926 Dodge Brothers coupe. It is awesome and it great shape with very little rust. I got it for $6000. Not sure if that us good, average or what but don't care. I love the car. It is so cool!

i have been hold you can get any part on the car but I can't find a website for that. Can someone direct me to a good parts website?

Thanks

I am so excited! I just bought a 1926 Dodge Brothers coupe. It is awesome and it great shape with very little rust. I got it for $6000. Not sure if that us good, average or what but don't care. I love the car. It is so cool!

i have been hold you can get any part on the car but I can't find a website for that. Can someone direct me to a good parts website?

Thanks

Hello Rogillio!

I also have a 1926 Coupe! Whoever told you that every part is available never owned one. 1926 & 1927 are one of the hardest Dodges to get parts for. NOTHING IS STANDARD!!!!!

That being said I wouldn't trade mine for anything! (A wheelbarrow full of money might be the exception)

One of the strictest rules of this forum is that you have to post a photo of your Dodge!

We will talk again!

Bill

Hello Rogillio!

I also have a 1926 Coupe! Whoever told you that every part is available never owned one. 1926 & 1927 are one of the hardest Dodges to get parts for. NOTHING IS STANDARD!!!!!

That being said I wouldn't trade mine for anything! (A wheelbarrow full of money might be the exception)

One of the strictest rules of this forum is that you have to post a photo of your Dodge!

We will talk again!

Bill

Im im trying brother, I'm trying. I'm using my iPad and I can "choose file" but hen don't see an. 'Ok ' or 'load'.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

The car is painted dark blue and the fenders are black. Is this a factory color scheme or has it been painted?

Does the wood in the floor look original? I am a woodworker and plan on replacing these panels with oak but want to 'keep original' as much as possible.

Very nice car, you did good. If you didn't get a Book of Instruction with the car you need one. That is the owner's manual, get one that was printed as near before your car was built as possible to give the best information. Your car would have been built about the end of July, 1926 making it a '27 model. Join a club, AACA, DBC or other and get to know your car. Have fun with it.

Very nice car, you did good. If you didn't get a Book of Instruction with the car you need one. That is the owner's manual, get one that was printed as near before your car was built as possible to give the best information. Your car would have been built about the end of July, 1926 making it a '27 model. Join a club, AACA, DBC or other and get to know your car. Have fun with it.

AACA? Isn't that this website? Aren't I a 'member' when I signed up to post?

What is DBC and how do I join?

AACA? Isn't that this website? Aren't I a 'member' when I signed up to post?

What is DBC and how do I join?

Go to the top of this page to "AACA Home", you will see how to join there. The Book of Information will answer most of your questions. The AACA library shows a 1926 Book of Information in their online catalog. If you go to their site at the top of this page and do a search on 1926 Dodge you can order a paper copy mailed to your house.

Or you can go on E-bay and pick one up for a good price still as long as its not in mint condition or some gouger hasnt got his greedy hands on it.

Oh my! That LOOKS like a very nice ORIGINAL Coupe! Once you do your research you may find it is better to keep it as original as possible and just do the necessary maintenance to have everything working up to spec. You can also do some "creative" cleanup to make it look the best it can at its advanced age. But the aged look is the charm of it all! Plus people researching info on these very nice older models have something original to go by. There is value in that!

You will find Parts and Mechanical Manuals to be necessary. Membership in marquis clubs is also very helpful.

Hey guys - aren't the wood parts in these older Dodges all made of Ash? I thought I heard that somewhere. It was because the grain was much tighter hence a stronger piece of wood???

Also, thought I heard mentioned that the early paints were Nitrocellulose. That would not have lead in it. BUT AGAIN, maybe you don't really want to "sand stuff" anyway until a solid decision is made on "original" or "restoration". Just saying... You are pretty early in the game yet. ;)

Have fun with your car and keep us informed as time goes by. You will find a lot of help here on the Forum.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

BTW Rogillio: Where are you in this great big car loving world?

I am in AL.

i had my first aaaaw sh....moment tonight. I was sandblasting the rust around the radiator and sprayed the fins. It turned copper orange so I kept spraying.....then I saw a drop od water. There is a constant drip.

i think the car has been previously restored. It has a perfect headliner in the cab and the upholstery is perfect.

Im im going for historical preservation. So want it to look like it did back in the day.

Whoops! A live and learn moment.

Here's a (late) tip. Always go for the least aggressive techniques first. Maybe try using a solvent on that rust first. There are some out there that will remove the rust and not disturb the plating or paint finish around the rust. There have been numerous posts on this Forum concerning rust removal. Personally, I like "EvapoRust" as a first line rust remover. Others here like to use a form of electrolysis (but that could be harder with the parts still on the car). The radiator frame is plated in nickel (not chrome) so replating costs are just a tad cheaper (usually). Actually, as far as I know, there is NO chrome on your car. It's too old for that style of finish.

It looks like you are anxious to get going on the car but I think you will find a lot of us would suggest to slow a bit and take some extra time to do some research about the "best" way to proceed to the ends that you are hoping for on any of your needed operations. The radiator damage IS going to be problematic, just like you sensed in your "aaaw sh**" moment. But I am sure there will be suggestions on the Forum here as to how to "make that all better".

Good luck as you soldier on!

post-100407-143142485103_thumb.jpg

There were two old hub caps in the truck so I decided to clean them up for spares. One of them has a bullet hole in it! I think I may be restoring one of Al Capone's cars! :-)

I'm not sure what the other thing is but I think it is some sort of vent. I am remaking the floor boards and this was attached it the floor. It was connected via a metal tube to the transmission. It cleaned up like a new penny.....well, after soaking in parts cleaner over night and then about 2 hrs of cleaning/polishing with a Dremmel Tool.

post-100407-143142485082_thumb.jpg

The part you cleaned up that connected to the transmission looks like a grease cup...I've got a similar item under the floorboards on my '29. Get familiar with a lot of little things like this that require regular attention....a car of this vintage is a lot different than one of newer vintage...if you don't have one I'd recommend an owner's manual. Very cool car! Have fun w/ it! BTW, that side view mirror could be an aftermarket item that an owner bought from someplace like Western Auto back in the day....I've got an cigarette lighter, registration holder and heater that weren't original to the car, but added early on, so I kept them.

The part you cleaned up that connected to the transmission looks like a grease cup...I've got a similar item under the floorboards on my '29. Get familiar with a lot of little things like this that require regular attention....a car of this vintage is a lot different than one of newer vintage...if you don't have one I'd recommend an owner's manual. Very cool car! Have fun w/ it! BTW, that side view mirror could be an aftermarket item that an owner bought from someplace like Western Auto back in the day....I've got an cigarette lighter, registration holder and heater that weren't original to the car, but added early on, so I kept them.

So the grease cup is so you can add grease to the transmission? Cool! I got the book from Amazon this weekend but haven't read it yet.

"So the grease cup is so you can add grease to the transmission? Cool! I got the book from Amazon this weekend but haven't read it yet."

Look at your manual, but I think that grease cup is just for the throwout bearing. There are all sorts of grease fittings on these old cars.

"So the grease cup is so you can add grease to the transmission? Cool! I got the book from Amazon this weekend but haven't read it yet."

Look at your manual, but I think that grease cup is just for the throwout bearing. There are all sorts of grease fittings on these old cars.

I will ill show my ignorance here....the manual calls it a "clutch release bearing grease tube". Is that the same as the throwout bearing?