62 Buick Lesabre Shifter is Sticking

Guest benclink

Guest benclink

Hi,

My 62 Lesabre shifter is starting to stick could not get in reverse, then could not get into drive. I'll be honest I had it in storage the last year.

I prevoiusly replaced the spark plugs, new generator, new starter, the prevoius family that owned it had the transmission rebulit about 8 years ago.

Low miles 74,000 it's a black 4-door hard top.

Thanks any info welcomed!

Ben

Hi Ben, welcome to this forum. That is an interesting problem you report. I assume this is a column shift car as opposed to a shifter in the floor console? If a column shift car I would think 10 years in storage would be of no issue on a 62 LeSabre. The shifter linkage is all manual with various rods of sufficient size that they would be unlikely to bend without some outside influence.

That being said I think you need to inspect the underside of the car and verify nothing is caught up in between linkage parts. The other thing you may want to do is spray some WD 40 on the connection points of the linkage, especially at the bottom of the steering column. Maybe there is some old coagulated grease on the parts? If so you would want to remove that by wiping with a disposable cloth.

The only other thing I can think of is a broken/deteriorated transmission or engine mount.

Guest benclink
Dynaflow or manual? If dynaflow, detach linkage at transmission and see which is stiff: linkage or internal tranny.

If rare manual, worn bushings in linkage will get things 'out of sync' to the point at times being unable to shift.

Thanks, Dynaflow, lubed linkage seems to working fine now.