23 Gearbox oil question

Guest Mike 22 4

Guest Mike 22 4

Could anyone please tell me how much oil is required in a 23 Dodge 4 gearbox? I am going for a heavier oil as my 23 Tourer has a noisy first and second gear, third however is very quiet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

Regardless what the book says you will want more oil in it and the heavier the better.

Don't even bother with 80/140.

If you can't get your hands on 3 quarts of 600W a terrific alternative is type 00 grease.

It's a flowable grease with the consistency of about 1/2 set Jello.

Dodge transmissions aren't known for their smooth shifting (gross understatement) but the heavy oil or grease provides enough drag on the gears to make smooth shifting easier........easiER.......not easy.

Guest Mike 22 4
Regardless what the book says you will want more oil in it and the heavier the better.

Don't even bother with 80/140.

If you can't get your hands on 3 quarts of 600W a terrific alternative is type 00 grease.

It's a flowable grease with the consistency of about 1/2 set Jello.

Dodge transmissions aren't known for their smooth shifting (gross understatement) but the heavy oil or grease provides enough drag on the gears to make smooth shifting easier........easiER.......not easy.

Thanks very much for the reply cahartley. This is the final unknown before we get on the road for our first run. Appreciate the advice. Mike

Could anyone please tell me how much oil is required in a 23 Dodge 4 gearbox? I am going for a heavier oil as my 23 Tourer has a noisy first and second gear, third however is very quiet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

I found my 600 wt at the local Vintage Ford Parts dealer here in Sacramento CA. Most vintage parts dealers have it over the counter.

Do not count out other parts dealers. I found my gear shift knob and key switch for my DB truck there also.

Guest Mike 22 4
I found my 600 wt at the local Vintage Ford Parts dealer here in Sacramento CA. Most vintage parts dealers have it over the counter.

Do not count out other parts dealers. I found my gear shift knob and key switch for my DB truck there also.

Thank you Stakeside & StillOutThere. I am in Melbourne, Australia and have now been able to pick us some through Auto Surplus www.autosurplus.com.au

Cahartley sorted me out with the quantity required.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Mike

Actually the Dodge Bible calls for 5 pints of heavy oil in the transmission.

I added more until shifting improved which isn't saying a whole lot but it helped.

A young acquaintance said the transmission in his 1920 Dodge Touring makes it seem like his Ford Model A has a synchromesh transmission and, having a '29 Model A, I agree with him 100%....... :rolleyes:

By the way......I highly recommend Dodge Repair Manual 1915-1926: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Repair-Manual-1926-1925-1924-1923-1922-1921-1920-1919-1918-1917-1916-1915-/400698988994?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d4b8559c2&vxp=mtr

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Guest Mike 22 4
Actually the Dodge Bible calls for 5 pints of heavy oil in the transmission.

I added more until shifting improved which isn't saying a whole lot but it helped.

A young acquaintance said the transmission in his 1920 Dodge Touring makes it seem like his Ford Model A has a synchromesh transmission and, having a '29 Model A, I agree with him 100%....... :rolleyes:

By the way......I highly recommend Dodge Repair Manual 1915-1926: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Repair-Manual-1926-1925-1924-1923-1922-1921-1920-1919-1918-1917-1916-1915-/400698988994?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5d4b8559c2&vxp=mtr

Thanks for for that tip cahartley, I bought it as suggested. I really appreciate your assistance.

Just need to refit the refurbished water pump and we should be good to go. I'll post a couple of photos once it's out of the shed and back on the road.

Cheers, Mike

Guest Mike 22 4

1st start in 70 years

These are on Vimeo

trim.09D246DA-6A37-4098-A2B1-66D93713BEF2

Trim.9FEEBFE7-523A-46A2-B04D-33306777072C

Hope these load OK

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike 22 4 (see edit history)

Hi Mike224, It's Brian here I live in Aspendale Gardens. I have a 1925 tourer. Question, what did you do to the pump to rebuild it. And did you recently do some work to the gearbox. The oil you bought is most likely the same as mine and you have to squeeze it out of the bottle, my tranny works ok.Also does your car have a magneto.

Regards Brian

Guest Mike 22 4
Hi Mike224, It's Brian here I live in Aspendale Gardens. I have a 1925 tourer. Question, what did you do to the pump to rebuild it. And did you recently do some work to the gearbox. The oil you bought is most likely the same as mine and you have to squeeze it out of the bottle, my tranny works ok.Also does your car have a magneto.

Regards Brian

Brian,

The 23 has a magneto, the water pump was leaking badly.

Cled Davies in Bendigo rebuilt it. He machines the pump and inserts ceramic washers which when greased properly stop any leaks.

http://www.dodgebrosclub-australasia.asn.au/docs/cd_dodge_parts.pdf

I'll have to see what happens with the transmission.

Mike

Guest Mike 22 4
;) ........Those first starts are always a thrill.........and worrisome....... :rolleyes:

Sure sounds good!.......thanks!

Thrilling and nerve racking ..... hoping for the oil pressure to come up. Nice to hear the fellows say "think you've got a good one", a great relief.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, video's are great, is that really 70years since last started.What sort of oil pressure do you have, is this your first Dodge 4. Did you do any other work to the motor which bytheway sound ok to me. I sent a picture of my motor of a recent rebuild. Not sure if it will come out any good or where it will show up.

Regards Brian post-59681-143142482213_thumb.jpg

Guest Mike 22 4
Hi Mike, video's are great, is that really 70years since last started.What sort of oil pressure do you have, is this your first Dodge 4. Did you do any other work to the motor which bytheway sound ok to me. I sent a picture of my motor of a recent rebuild. Not sure if it will come out any good or where it will show up.

Regards Brian [ATTACH=CONFIG]244649[/ATTACH]

Thanks Brian,

i was thinking about that as I wrote it, because I got it from a bloke who said it had been in his shed 60 years and we've had it about 18 years. The 70 years is probably a bit iffy. Water pump replacement, vacuum tank refurbished and few other bits and pieces. The biggest issue was the upholstery. This is my first Dodge 4. We hope to get to a few rally's before taking it to Forbes for the 100 year run.

Your engine photo looks great.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Mike 22 4
It sounds good Mike! I've got to deal with upholstery too. Are your springs in good shape? I'm probably going to have to get new springs...

We bit the bullet, and got it all done at once. We were lucky and had all the parts but the mouse plague in the 60's had taken its toll.

post-55252-143142485089_thumb.jpg

post-55252-143142485096_thumb.jpg

post-55252-143142485109_thumb.jpg

post-55252-143142485116_thumb.jpg

post-55252-143142485122_thumb.jpg