''65 Rear Seat Cushion(?)

slosteve

It seems that I made a mistake when I ordered a rear seat armrest cover for my custom interior. What I got was quite a bit smaller than my 'armrest'/cushion that goes between the two rear seat botttoms. It does not lift or fold out and is bolted in place.

post-92559-143142475981_thumb.jpg

When I contacted Clarks Corvairs they didn't know what I was talking about and when I sent photos and asked if they wanted to use mine to make a pattern, they said they could locate NO documentation that such a part existed. So now I'm wondering if mine is an anomoly or are there any others that made their way into '65 back seats.

Steve

I don't understand what went wrong with your order but a couple of years ago I ordered the rear center arm rest cover from Clark's, part number R179 for my 65 Riv and it was a perfect fit. The rear center arm rest was an option that I added to my car. I had previously ordered the drivers side seat back cover for the custom interior in dark green and it was almost a perfect match. If you don't know the seat back cover was replaced you would never notice the difference.

I don't understand what went wrong with your order but a couple of years ago I ordered the rear center arm rest cover from Clark's, part number R179 for my 65 Riv and it was a perfect fit.

That is the part that I ordered but apparently I don't have an 'armrest'. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has one of these 'cushions' between the rear seat bottoms.

Ed I have that big arm rest and mine doesn't fold down its fixed. I found that out a few hours ago when I removed all the rear seats. I also found out my rear seat bottom frame is rotted away bad. Mine is a 65 GS with deluxe interior and optional arm rest.

That is the part that I ordered but apparently I don't have an 'armrest'. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has one of these 'cushions' between the rear seat bottoms.

I have never seen a fixed rear seat center armrest in a first gen car and dont think yours is factory installed. Just MHO,

Tom Mooney

I have never seen a fixed rear seat center armrest in a first gen car and dont think yours is factory installed. Just MHO,

Tom Mooney

409287398.jpg

This is the backside of my armrest/cushion which is metal and is coated with the same color as the rest of the interior metal. Note the 2 bolt holes on the end of it and also a flange on what would be the front bottom that is slightly curved and has 2 smaller holes. There are corresponding brackets on my bottom seat frame that these attach to. I have removed the attaching hog rings in anticipation of my new cover.

Steve

On all of the first generation Rivieras, except the ones with the optional rear arm rest, those metal parts have a grain stamped into them and are painted the same color as the carpet and the painted parts of the console. I think that some previous owner of your car has just had these metal parts recovered for a different appearance.

Here's a picture of an arm rest in the folded down position

http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/images/riv1964fawnstdvinyl.jpg

Here's one of an arm rest in the raised position

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1965-Buick-Riviera-Pictures-c8418_pi6742207?picturesTabFilter=INTERIOR

And this link shows what the space between the rear seats looks like on the majority of the 1st generation cars that were built.

http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/images/riv1964whitevinyl.jpg

Here's a link to one of the embossed metal pieces that's now for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231191588889?lpid=82

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

409287398.jpg

This is the backside of my armrest/cushion which is metal and is coated with the same color as the rest of the interior metal. Note the 2 bolt holes on the end of it and also a flange on what would be the front bottom that is slightly curved and has 2 smaller holes. There are corresponding brackets on my bottom seat frame that these attach to. I have removed the attaching hog rings in anticipation of my new cover.

Steve

It appears that someone has used the factory filler plate as a base to add padded upholstery. Great idea but I dont think this is factory installed.

Has the interior been reupholstered in the past? Is there an "SCO" somewhere on your Fisher Body plate located on the engine firewall above the power brake booster? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

So today I rebuilt my rear seat frame and in doing that I removed the arm rest and took it completely apart. I cleaned oiled and greased everything and guess what? Tom Mooney was right the rear seat arm does fold down on all cars! Ed you didn't learn anything new as you thought you both were correct! Seats are now rebuild with the original vinyl and installed properly and the arm rest works. Total cost to rebuild zero! Thanks Tom and Ed you da man! jim

It appears that someone has used the factory filler plate as a base to add padded upholstery. Great idea but I dont think this is factory installed.

Has the interior been reupholstered in the past? Is there an "SCO" somewhere on your Fisher Body plate located on the engine firewall above the power brake booster? Thanks,

Tom Mooney

So it looks like I will need to keep an eye out for a folding armrest since I already have a new cover for it. I don't think that it's been reupholstered and that 'cushion' fit really well; looked factory to me but I haven't been around these cars like youse guys have.

Tom, I haven't been able to see that tag yet as the car is 'up in the air' on the lift right now. I will check it at my earliest opportunity.

Thanks for your input guys.

Steve

Guest Gseago
Gerard, sorry it took a while to get back on this forum. The cover that I ordered from Clarks was a perfect in both fit and color match and grain.

No problem Don your interior looks great by the way, thanks for the review now I can add a new cover to the list of must haves.