Changing thermostat on 89 Reatta

Guest Hut Horseman

Guest Hut Horseman

Hi, We are having quite a time with the thermostat change. The flange does not want to seat properly. Are we doing something wrong with the O ring?

Guest Hut Horseman

Mine leaked when reassembled. It was extremely difficult to remove and I really don't know why. The helpful hint of gently prying was a joke. Worked a long time to get it apart.

Guest Mc_Reatta

The easiest way to get one out is to grab the end with a good sized pair of water pump pliers after you get the screw out and the hose off it and rock it back and forth to crack it loose before lifting it out.

Inserting it back in is more fun in part because the o-ring for the thermostat supplied from most FLAPS is a little taller then spec I think. Still will work but makes seating pipe into place harder. I used to use a large screwdriver or small pry-bar to push straight down on the pipe in the center of the outlet hole. Just did two in the last couple of weeks and this method didn't work. Then after getting pipe started into the outlet, and starting the hold down screw to align the two, use the large screwdriver and stick it between the pipe and the throttle body so the blade just catches the pipe flange at the rear opposite the hold down screw. Tap on the driver to seat the rear of the pipe first. Then, keeping pressure on the rear edge of the flange, screw the retaining bolt down. This should get the o-ring seated evenly all around so it won't leak.

Guest Hut Horseman
The easiest way to get one out is to grab the end with a good sized pair of water pump pliers after you get the screw out and the hose off it and rock it back and forth to crack it loose before lifting it out.

Inserting it back in is more fun in part because the o-ring for the thermostat supplied from most FLAPS is a little taller then spec I think. Still will work but makes seating pipe into place harder. I used to use a large screwdriver or small pry-bar to push straight down on the pipe in the center of the outlet hole. Just did two in the last couple of weeks and this method didn't work. Then after getting pipe started into the outlet, and starting the hold down screw to align the two, use the large screwdriver and stick it between the pipe and the throttle body so the blade just catches the pipe flange at the rear opposite the hold down screw. Tap on the driver to seat the rear of the pipe first. Then, keeping pressure on the rear edge of the flange, screw the retaining bolt down. This should get the o-ring seated evenly all around so it won't leak.

Thank you - I am frustrated to say the least. This make sense and I surely hope it works. Very weird design.

Guest Hut Horseman

I want to thank everyone who gave me their advice about the thermostat on the '89 Reatta. Success is sweet - especially with the help of new found friends. Thankx:cool:

When my buddy did all the gaskets on the 'vert, I wanted him to do the thermostat as well. He said "Is the car running hot"? I replied "NO". He said "Looks like a *****. I remember the last one we did. Let's leave it for now as it works".

So we did...

Is it hard to get in and out because of corrosion? I've had mine out twice but I don't remember having much of a problem. I think the key to getting the water neck out is to use a slight rocking motion while pulling up on it. Rock it too far and it will bite into the intake manifold. The manifold and the water neck should be cleaned thoroughly before you attempt to reinstall.

I followed Padgett's instructions: Thermostat Installation Instructions

Guest Mc_Reatta

Here's an old thread that describes the whole situation. Ronnie had a post that described the various seal styles. Unfortunately, the only style that you are likely to find at your FLAPS now makes installing the outlet pipe very difficult to get seated adequately to prevent leaking.

Should someone find a source for the original flat grooved style, I'd let Ronnie know and maybe he could add it to his store. Would make this job much easier.

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/thermostat-1989-a-256820.html

as i recall the problem is theres only one bolt on one side so the tstat cover pulls down crooked.plus theres stuff in the way to drive it in straight.
You are describing the biggest mistake that most people make when installing a thermostat. The bolt should not be used to pull the water neck down and it should not be driven in.

Below are the instructions that are on my website for installing the water neck. If those instructions are followed, and you are using the correct parts, installing the thermostat shouldn't be a hard job.

Install the water neck

"With all surfaces clean and liberal use of white grease, the neck should just push in by hand (I sometime push with a big screwdriver centered on the top. The bolt just holds it in place. DO NOT try to pull the water neck down with the bolt. Torque the bolt to 10-12 lb-ft." -Written By Padgett

There are at least two styles of seals for the thermostats that were used. One goes inside the thermostat flange as show in the photo on the left. I believe it is the most common style. Another style has the seal around the perimeter of the flange as shown in the photo on the right. My car uses the thermostat that has the seal around the flange as shown on the right. Make sure you use the correct seal.

post-52331-143142477713_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142477717_thumb.jpg

There is an O ring on the water outlet (Felpro # 35126) and another gasket that sits on the thermostat (Felpro # 35608). The one that sits on the thermostat keeps it from rocking. The second one keeps it from rocking I just replaced this last year.

I had the GM part numbers but the second gasket that sits on the thermostat is discontinued. So stock up. These parts are found at Advanced Auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-o-ring-35608/19783544-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15023

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-o-ring-35126/5991668-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15023

Guest Hut Horseman
There is an O ring on the water outlet (Felpro # 35126) and another gasket that sits on the thermostat (Felpro # 35608). The one that sits on the thermostat keeps it from rocking. The second one keeps it from rocking I just replaced this last year.

I had the GM part numbers but the second gasket that sits on the thermostat is discontinued. So stock up. These parts are found at Advanced Auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-o-ring-35608/19783544-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15023

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-o-ring-35126/5991668-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15023

Thanks for the info. We replaced the thermostat - it was an experience. My thanks again to all who advised me.