Info on 1928 Studebaker Dictator

jps

I am looking for a driveable 1920's-30's sedan and found a 1928 Studebaker Dictator that is for sale. I don't know anything about Studebakers, especially if there is anything in particular to watch out for when checking a car out. Does anyone have advice or is there a good source of reference material anywhere that would pertain to this particular model and year? Examples of things I would like to know:

1) Are there any known or typical issues/problems with 1928 Dictators?

2) I assume this car has a wood substructure in the body; is that correct?

3) How difficult is it to replace the top? This particular car reportedly needs a new top.

Anything else that I should watch for.

Thank you.

There are three versions of the 1928 Dictator. All used a wood structure.

Top material is available but I do not know the vendor.

The first version was close to the 1927 EU except that Studebaker introduced a mechanical fuel pump.

the second series had fully crowned fenders in contrast to the small crown with flat sides next to it.

The third series had a small front window sun visor called "Cadet Visor" and many other changes were made

during the model year.

Google "1928 Studebaker" and you find a lot about these cars.

1928 had a large production.

Many survived because the 1929 crash made that people kept their cars in

good shape because it may be the last one they could afford.

Robert Kapteyn"

Yes, the bodies were wood framed. No particular issues with this model, pretty straight forward. If you do a search on this site under 1928 Dictator you will see several previous posts on that specific topic. The Dictator was Studebaker's base model in 1928 behind the larger Commanders and Presidents. The '28s were designated as model GE and that should appear on your firewall tag. To be certain of what you have check this tag and the serial number on the frame under the left front fender and post it here. The GE came in three different body designs referred to as first, second and third design and they look quite different though the mechanical specs were the same. As soon as you have posted the numbers more info can be forthcoming

Thank you both for the good info so far.

I have not yet seen the car in person but the s/n is GEW-3 (top row) 14792 (second row). Here are two photos from the ad:

post-52899-143142477836_thumb.jpg

post-52899-143142477834_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi, Our family bought a 1928 dictator almost identical to this one. The engine was a GE. We had problems with the engine. It had rusted through near the valve springs internally. I had the opportunity to buy another GE engine and it had the same problems. I would pull the valve cover off the side of the engine and check for any signs of rust up near wear the valve springs sit. You will need a small mirror and a good light to see up there! The casting seems to be very thin there. We are still chasing a good GE engine.