Cosmos

Dave@Moon

Yes, this is automotive related. Just read ahead.

For those who haven't noticed, Neil Degrasse Tyson's remake of the Cosmos series has been running of TV. It is scheduled for broadcast at 9 PM on Sunday on the Fox Network (Yes, the general broadcast network of Simpsons fame is playing a science documentary in prime time in a timeslot recently occupied by Family Guy and American Dad!), with a re-broadcast Monday nights at 10 PM on Fox's National Geographic Channel. Family Guy's creator/producer Seth Macfarlane is listed as Executive Producer.

It is brilliant, thoughtful, captivating, eminently intelligent , and eminently intelligible, some of Dr. Tyson's best work. At the end of the first episode came a very touching personal story and tribute to Carl Sagan which I was not expecting. It was a reminder of the days when being a scientist and being a man meant something different than it generally does today.

AUTOMOTIVE RELATED SECTION: Tonight's show (to be repeated tomorrow and later as indicated in my first paragraph) drew a line directly from research into measuring the age of the earth to the research that it led to..., the scientific work that led to the hazards of, contamination from, and elimination of tetraethyl lead in gasoline. That wasn't just part of the show, it was nearly all of it. Like most of the shows there is a true hero of the scientific community profiled, and like many a true villain opposes him. It's dramatic, spell-binding stuff.

This is some of the best television I've ever seen. If you get a chance, I'd recommend watching it on the National Geographic Channel tomorrow night.2thumbs.gif

Edited by Dave@Moon
missing punctuation (see edit history)

Well, I watched the Monday re-broadcast fully expecting to be enlightened on the Cosmos and universe around us. Instead I was treated to a not even thinly veiled hour of propaganda about the evil oil and chemical companies and how they willfully and maliciously conspired to poison the entire population of the world. There's no denying lead can be toxic but but that episode was pure propaganda designed to sway public perceptions rather than enlighten. Very disappointing ......................Bob

That's why I now seldom read National Geographic. Virtually every article has an anti business and often pro liberal "the world is ending" slant.

I have to agree with you on that. The recent heavy left bias in the majority of articles in the National Geographic is quite annoying. Instead of reporting, they are now proselytising. Who's paying?