Need advice on removing the rear window

Guest Dean1200

Guest Dean1200

Hi Everyone.

The rear window rubber on my 1946 Super Sedanette needs replacing. It is badly cracked and as hard as rock. How do I remove the window without breaking the glass?

Thanks in advance.

Dean.

Guest 53 Roady

I only know enough to tell you to beware of prying off any reveal stainless moldings. They are probably held on by hidden nuts on the inside.

The 52 shop manual describes this but I don't know 46. Someone with a screwdriver ruined the stainless on my 57 Olds parts car.

Pat

Guest Dean1200

Thanks Pat. I have gutted the interior of the car and was hoping to cut the inside rubber first so I could remove the glass, and then remove the rest of the rubber including stainless trim but the rubber is too tough for the knife. Cheers. Dean.

Guest Dean1200

Thanks I will try that. I also wondered whether wiping the rubber with some type of solvent may soften the rubber.

Guest Dean1200

I'm not brave enough for that. It's too hard to locate parts from here let alone find someone who will send overseas. If all else fails I have someone from a local car glass shop that will come around Thursday night. Cheers.

Guest Dean1200

OK, I got a business out to remove the window for me. They spent a 1/2 hour removing 6 inches of rubber and then had to go to another job.

I tried using their method of tapping a sharp blade between the glass and rubber (from the inside) but the sound of the rubber giving was exactly the same as glass cracking so I gave up doing it that way.

Instead I fitted the twist wire wheel to my 4 inch angle grinder and ground the rubber down between the glass and frame on the inside. Once I'd done that it was easy to break off the remaining rubber. Took about 20 minutes to do the whole window and it has come out without any damage. Of course this can only be done with the upholstery removed because it made a mess.

Recommend anyone trying this uses the wire wheel instead of a cutting disc because the wire wheel is somewhat glass friendly, and wear a mask.

Signing out with a smile on my dial.

Dean.