See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born

Guest Spiritinthesky

Guest Bob Call

Stupid thing doesn't go far back enough for me. A top Western Swing song when I was born was the New San Antonio Rose by Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.

What you calling "country" is really three separate genre. Hillbilly the descendant of English, Scotch and Irish folk music brought to the Appalachians by early settlers; ie bluegrass and folk songs like Early, Early in the Spring. Country, home grown American music from the Southern US, ie Cold, Cold Heart; Wabash Cannonball; D-I-V-O-R-C-E. And, Western from the plains and Western mountains, ie Cool Water; San Antonio Rose; Back in the Saddle Again.

Stupid thing doesn't go far back enough for me. A top Western Swing song when I was born was the New San Antonio Rose by Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.

What you calling "country" is really three separate genre. Hillbilly the descendant of English, Scotch and Irish folk music brought to the Appalachians by early settlers; ie bluegrass and folk songs like Early, Early in the Spring. Country, home grown American music from the Southern US, ie Cold, Cold Heart; Wabash Cannonball; D-I-V-O-R-C-E. And, Western from the plains and Western mountains, ie Cool Water; San Antonio Rose; Back in the Saddle Again.

Doesn't go far enough back for me either - I prefer 1930s & 1940s Big Band, and 1960s Stage band such as Doc Severinsen:

BIO:

http://www.cpa.psu.edu/events/doc-severinsen-and-his-big-band

Severinsen playing Solo of "SEPTEMBER SONG" in great arrangewment with ARMY BAND:

And the Tonight Show Band playing "LAST TANGO IN PARIS" with an incredible solo:

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I can't believe it was Row, Row , Row your Boat by a man called Columbus and backed up by his American discovery crew! Man I must be old ( lol )!

Wayne

If you are going to split hairs about Country, Hillbilly etcetera you should also learn that the drink is "scotch" the people are "Scots" and I for one would never argue with a people who's men toss telephone poles for sport and wear skirts (no matter what you call them, the skirts or kilts).:rolleyes: