Changing tire on 1921 9B (with lock ring)

RansomEli

After 15+ years of driving my '21 9B touring, I finally got a flat tire. Zelda did not let me down, however - the tire didn't go completely flat until I made it back to my driveway.

I've been searching the Franklin Tech site along with this forum for info on how to change the tire. So far, I found two great articles/threads: AACA "Using a rim spreader to mounting tire" by scott12180, May 9th, 2012 and #113 Sept 2006 Franklin Service Station; " Changing Split Rim Tires."

I didn't find any info on the best way to remove the lock ring. Are there any tricks other than being careful not to gouge anything?

Does anyone have any additional advice?

One or more videos on how to change tires on different Franklin models would be a great topic for the next Trek. Especially if the videos could get posted for all to reference.

Have you gotten it off yet?

It's not too difficult and there are not really any tricks. If you completely remove the valve core, it helps a little. Once you pry up one end of the ring, you can walk it off the rim. Rust and a very stiff tire are your enemies.

When installing the new tube - use talc and fill the new tube with just enough air to give it shape. When you are ready to install the lockring, you can pull the valve core again to relieve all pressure. Once the lockring is seated (must be perfectly seated), then with the valve core still removed, give air to the tire enough to fill things out a bit and make sure everything looks good, let the air back out, replace the core and fill it up. Most will fill the tire from the backside of the wheel - just being mindful that a blown lockring is not something you want to be in the way of!

It's almost impossible to install a lockring without scraping the paint off the edges - unless the paint is very fresh and still just a bit soft.

post-51799-143142477046_thumb.jpgSeries 9 lockring rim

That's the way I do it anyway....

tom

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's help. Here's an update on the tire replacement...

Removed the lock ring OK. Pried up the lock ring using a couple very old tire irons (they looked hand forged- you can see hammer marks) and screwdrivers. Once I took the lock ring off, everyone's instructions became crystal clear. I guess it's just something you have to do.

I repaired my tire and inner tube and now am attempting to install the lock ring.

Having a bit of trouble wrapping the lock ring around the wheel (much less getting it seated). I'm starting at the "other" of the ring end and trying to roll the ring into the wheel.

I know the importance of seating the lock ring - I just need to get in on the wheel first. Not having a lot of success - is there a trick involved?

I just cannot imagine how anyone fixed a flat tire alongside the road. My hat is off to anyone who has done this "in the field."

Thanks again. I'm trying to make this a labor of love with minimal amount of cussing.

I thought I had searched the forums properly, but missed this one by you, Tom:

If the rings fit well, then the trick is to clamp the tire down, way from the lock ring groove, so that you don't have to fight the tire when installing the ring. In this way, the rings really walk on rather easily with no scraping. Practice before you paint the wheels to be sure the rings fit properly. It's really no problem when doing it this way.

Sounds like I need to get a bunch of U-clamps to keep the tire away from the lock ring.

Here's some info from Dad

Bill Eby

: post-90005-143142517067_thumb.jpg

In the early 1940's the only tires I could buy for my 9B was well worn used tires from auto salvage yards. I got lots of practice changing tires on snap ring type rims. In this case practice does not make perfect. But I have one suggestion in addition to what is already said. Buy yourself a tool that keeps the valve stem in control. It is essentially a short length of flexible metal wire with a cap on one end that you poke through the rim stem hole and screw it fast to the end of the valve stem before completely sliding the tire onto the rim. The other end has something on it that can not escape through the hole. In the case of my current tool it is a couple of valve stem tools. After the tire is completely on the rim the valve stem is pulled into place by pulling the tool. It simplifies the retreival of the valve stem out of the tire and getting it seated in the hole. The last tool I bought was about five years ago at an auto parts store. See attached photo.

Wendell

One other consideration from someone with lots of experience. Remember, Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want! Never install the valve in the valve stem until you have inflated the tube to it's pressure, since there are times when the tube and stem may be wrinkled or in a bind and when you inflate it the stem, like magic, pulls in and disappears! When that happens and you have placed the valve in it there is only one thing you can do. Take an ice pick and puncture the tube and let the air out!

Bill

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't have any problems with the valve stem but having a %^&*$ of a time installing the lock ring. I'm using a bunch of c-clamps to pull the tire back from the lock ring groove. It seems to be working (hah!) but I just have to keep on trying and use more powerful cuss words.

I haven't felt this useless on a car task in quite a while.

Bill Eby, I can't imagine how you changed tires multiple times. Just fixing my one flat is giving me untold grief. On the other hand, I console myself by saying this is part of the hobby I love.

And, when I am done (hopefully), I'll at least know the right way to fix the other wheels when I buy new tires this fall.

What a lost art. What a pain!

Good news. I properly installed the lock ring and everything is perfect. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice (Tom & Paul, in particular).

I changed the the tire without removing the wheel using a real Rube Goldberg fixture. I'll post some pictures with an explanation of how I did it.

Excuse me, but I've got to drive my 9B for a while now. It's just a delight to drive. Especially on all 4 tires.