Funky Brank lights

BillN

Hi,

I just got my 90 conv out of the garage after sitting since December, and I noticed the brake lights came on and would not go off. I had just checked the brake fluid level and depressed the brake pedal 25 times with the key off and they then stayed on. And by the way the CHMSL does continue to work as intended off the pedal switch.

So last night I disconnected the battery, but then afew minutes later reconnected it, and the brake lights work normally!

So We tried it again today, with my daughters help (it's actually her car), and the lights seemed to work normally. I performed the same brake fluid level procedure, with no problem then had her take it around the block. When she returned, the lights stayed on as they had yesterday. We pumped the pedal a few times and no difference. I then disconnected the battery and only momentarily, and they came back on. Then I disconnected it waited 5 min, and reconnected it and they operated normally. I had her start the car up and apply the brake and they stayed on.

so I am concluding that there is some interaction with the engine running and the application of the brakes that makes the lights stay on and it is separate form the signal to the CHMSL.

Any clues? or similar experience out there that can diagnose this please?

Thanks,

Bill N

Guest Mc_Reatta

I would think all brank lights would be funky by nature. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming your talking about the rear stoplights, not the IPC warning lights. Try adjusting the stoplight switch via the following procedure, and if that fails, replace switch.

post-55241-14314247347_thumb.jpg

post-55241-143142473473_thumb.jpg