Headlight Problem

Steve2150

On my 1990 the passenger side headlight door would sometimes not open and was able to raise manually by turning the knob then it would work okay for awhile except when closing you can hear the motor and gears still running for about 5 seconds. Was ready to order the kut for both sides but today noticed the knob to raise just turns and does not raise the cover, no noise from the motor and cant tighten the knob. Will the kit cure it or does it need a motor which I hear is hard to get.

A repair kit usually takes care of 99.9% of the headlight door problems. Even if the door does not open, you should hear the motor run for a short period, then it times out. When the knob will not do anything, that is a strong indication that the arm (bellcrank) is completely stripped.

post-30596-14314247381_thumb.jpg

If the problem is only the plastic rollers, the doors will usually still open but with lots of slop. It is best to buy the kit and replace both the arm and rollers and you should be good for several years. All the kits available today use steel arms that will last forever, however the plastic rollers may fail again in 5-10 years, but they are cheap and act as a "fuse" protecting the more expensive parts.

post-30596-143142473812_thumb.jpg

I sell the original "Barney" cranks with a lifetime warranty. So this does not sound like a sales pitch, please call me for more details (512 869 5114)

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)