1956 Buick rear coil springs

ghaskett

Recently replaced rear coil springs on '56 Special. After about 100 mile there is a significant up/down motion squeak coming from rear. I'm sure it's coming from both coils. Any up/down motion will set off the squeeks which started up around 100 miles into the installation. But before I tear into them again, I was wondering what you're thoughts are on this. Thanks!

A standard shop and maybe a hobbyist will disconnect the rear shocks on a rear coil spring car, unbolt the springs, and pull down each side far enough to remove and replace the spring. Then hook it all back up.

After 30, 40,50 or more years this method will probably twist the rubber bushings enough to shear them. It will bang going over curbs or in driveways and ride rough once the bushings are damaged.

When I replace rear springs or do any service that extends the axle travel I loosen each bushing through bolt and make sure it slides freely on the inner sleeve.

Then I insert a large chisel between the arm and the serrated end of the inner bushing sleeve and spread the components enough to release the grip of the serrations. That will give free movement to all the suspension arms and links. The axle can travel far beyond its normal positions without stressing the bushings.

When the service is complete I rest the full weight of the car on the suspension and tighten to specs. A little anti-sieze on the through bolts and nuts will help in the future.

Check the bushings for cracks or eccentric crushing. It they are shot only new will fix it.

Bernie