1928 FB President firewall color?

Guest dalestern

Guest dalestern

In restoring my 1928 FB President it's getting close to putting the body back on the frame so I have to paint the engine side firewall. Iv'e heard the the firewalls are supposed to be black regardless of body color. Is this true?

Guest dalestern

I'm a little confused. The researcher Andrew at the Studebaker Museum and another person told me that the firewall should be the same color as the body, however 4 people have now sent me photos of their '28, and '29 Studes with original paint and the firewalls on the engine side are black! What's a restorer to do???

I know that the common knowledge is that the firewall should be body color. It was that way on my 1940 commander when I looked at the original paint. So I painted it that way.

However I own a 1928 Dictator and the original paint on the firewall where it has peeled is black. It does not appear to be a redo but factory original as the factory paint is still on the car including stenciled paint codes under the rear seat, with a 1960's paint over.

I would look at your car and see what evidence you can see and do it the way you think is best. It is your car.

To Studeboy; there are many "mysteries" out there to keep us guessing. I'm guessing that there were inconsistencies at any one factory paint shop. I do not doubt you a bit when you say that your Dictator had an engine side firewall painted black. But think about it like this; On those early year cars, most likely the cowl was always painted off the car and then fitted to the car. To have then painted the engine side of the firewall black would be a separate operation, costing time and money. Maybe this was done;but why? As for me,when it's time to paint my 27 Commander it will most likely be painted body color. Sincerely; Commander Dave

That was my point. It is your car and you should paint it as you like. My point was I have an original car. The original paint is still on the car. The car was originally Dove Grey and Spruce green. Yet the firewall is only black, two layers.

There is lots of commonly held misinformation out there that no one is to question especially abut the 1928 models. When Fred Fox wrote his article abut the 1928 Dictators in Turning Wheels he repeated the mistake of a previous author in stating that all type two Dictators only had the small button running lights. If anyone actually looks at the 1928 Studebaker full line catalog you will see type two royal dictators with the full size running lights not the small button ones. I wrote a letter to Turning Wheels pointing this mistake out. The letter was not printed. The experts couldn't have there opinions questioned even when there was direct, in print from Studebaker, evidence that they were wrong.

There were many, many running changes in 1928 to the engine as well as the body of most models of Studebakers. What other discrepancies are out there as common knowledge that are incorrect? Lets open our minds a little and look at actual physical evidence. The light issue was wrong what else might be??

Guest dalestern

Thank you guys for all of your responses. I've now been sent 7 photos from Stude owners around the globe from that period with original paint and all have black firewalls regardless of the color so I'm going with a black firewall. There are a tone of things that I need to finish my project that I'll be asking about such as the rear seat Robe Rail or interior door/window handles. I don't have them and if I can't find them I'll be asking to make a deal with anyone willing to make a cast of them. We love these old cars and are, here for a reason. To give or get some support. Thanks for being here. DS

I am very hesitant to contradict Quinn or the museum. I know when I painted my cars, and for customers, I did paint the cowl body color. It looks much nicer that way. I have had many 29 to 33 Studebaker presidents and all originally had the engine side of the cowl painted black. Of course the question is referring to 1928, and I have never had a 28. Info for other years after 1933, the 34 to 42 cowl was painted body color.