Gasket problem

Installed a new oil pan gasket the other day and have a leak at the rear seal. The one I had was 9" long and sealed with permatex. The replacement spare I received had an 11" long by 1/4" thick rear gasket. Any help to how to install it without a leak would be greatly appreciated. Car is a 1930 Model 70 Chrysler 218.6 6 cylinder.

Installed a new oil pan gasket the other day and have a leak at the rear seal. The one I had was 9" long and sealed with permatex. The replacement spare I received had an 11" long by 1/4" thick rear gasket. Any help to how to install it without a leak would be greatly appreciated. Car is a 1930 Model 70 Chrysler 218.6 6 cylinder.

It isn't the rear main seal---it is the flat gasket for the oil pan How long should it be?

Tim, Typically that flat 1/4" wide piece is approx 1/4" loner on each end or 1/2" longer overall than the radius. If your old piece was 9" long your new one should be the same. I like them to crunch up slightly when installing to press fit the piece into the oil pan. A dab of Ultra Black sealer at each end will help to seal out the elements and seal in the oil.

Rob

hattiesgarage@comcast.net

Guest namvetschrysler

G/day Tim,

Yours I suppose should be the same as my 66, all I do is make sure the cork or neoprene is thick enough to squeeze under the keeper on the sump ( where the cork fits) then make it long enough to just be about a 1/8 above the sump gasket a generous squirt of a good sealer ( I use the black Toyota stuff) in each corner where the sump gasket and the cork meet, never had a leak,

Regards

George