Stamped VIN nr 1955 Buick Century .............. HELP

Guest patrick david

Guest patrick david

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone who can help me out here? In Europe the stamped VIN is the only valid one (even if I have the tag in the doorpost). Problem is I can not find it and I have searched this forum but still no result. I desperately need some help to get this beautifull car registered and on the road.

Patrick David

1955 Buick Century 4drs HT

The stamped stainless steel tag spot welded to the driver side door jamb is the only VIN. The engine # is not the same and the trim tag is not the VIN #. Other than the door jamb the only other place the VIN appears is stamped on top of the left rear of the frame and the body must be removed to see it..............Bob

Guest patrick david

Hi Bob,

This is indeed what I heave found in more forums but could you be more specific about where? Is it under the steering pump, near the brakelightswitch, more forward than this? I have been looking today where tank said it would be but still nothing found (although I keep searching because those number do not appear like that, I need to clean the area and widen the search). So if you could be more specific that would be most helpfull. From what I have read, you are both right but your spot is more accesable. You guys are the first who have actually seen the numbers and I keep searching till I have found one of the numbers.

Tnx Patrick

Edited by patrick david (see edit history)

After Powdercoating my frame, I outlined the frame number in white paint. As you can see below, it is to the outside of the frame. Mine is on the passenger (right side ;) ) behind the rear wheel which you can see in the pic.

edit: I was standing behind the rear cross member near where the exhaust pipe would be while taking the picture.

null_zpsce7b16ea.jpg

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

Hi Patrick. Mine were on the top of the driver side rail just a bit further forward than Mikes in the above pix. The # is aft of the rear wheels. The stamping is on the frame rail and so over the years the # is covered with dirt and rust. Mine needed to be sand blasted before I could even see there were ANY #'s there. Since they are on the top of the frame and the body and there is only about a 8 to 10 MM space between I don't know how you could see them with out removing the body or cutting a hole in the floor.

If the stainless steel plate is on your driver side door jamb THAT IS THE VIN and the ONLY VIN that identifies your car . Good luck..................Bob

Guest patrick david

Hi Bob,

The one and only VIN, tell that to the guys of the registration office over here in Europe. They NEED to see the stamped number in the chassis. But with the clues you have giving me I can resume my search.

Patrick

Patrick, it appears the vin could be on either the left or right frame rail. there are examples of both. There are hundreds (at least) of 50's era GM registered cars in Europe. Hard to believe all those guys pulled the bodies. Ask around...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest patrick david

I already did, till now I found one in Germany and he did let the number stamped again on a visible place on the chassis. Someone who imports the cars in Holland lets the number be stamped also. I haven't found the right way to have it done in Belgium. GM Belgium sends me through to an official dealer (Opel) but they say that they don't import Buicks anymore so they can not do it. Complicated????? I could do it myself and act as if it was always there, they don't see that much 50's Buicks come through to deny this..... Moving to America is also an option :-)

If you have the number from plate on the door why not just stamp that number on the frame yourself somewhere near its original position and "discover" it by cleaning the area.Will the guy in the suit behind the counter in the registration office know the difference? unlikely. failing that take the car for a holiday in a neighboring country and register it there. just suggesting some creative solutions.

cheers

Andrew

The best way to deal with red tape and government drones is to just give them what they want. Borrow or buy a set of 1/4" stamps and give them what they want. When I bought my 1939 Chevy pick up truck it was in pieces and the VIN tag had been removed and lost. The motor vehicle dept said the vin # on file matched the title paper but they needed to see the stamped VIN tag. Seems repro and BLANK tags are available. So for $10 and a borrowed stamp set the vehicle dept was happy, I was happy, and the guy selling tags was happy........................Bob