Add a heater, lose a data plate?

CarNucopia

I've been looking at late 30's Buicks and have come across two cars that had an aftermarket heater installed. Both apparently had the data plate removed from the firewall in the process. Is this a common problem. Anyone have any thoughts on buying a car without the plate?

Thanks,

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

Buick 64c.

If you plan to add a heater to a car, that is a good reason why you should stick with a legitimate factory option for the car. The firewall will have knockouts for the water lines and center punch marks for the attachment bolts.

At least that is the case with my '38's

I'm not looking to add a heater. I'm just surprised that two of the four cars I've looked at had hoses running through the firewall where the plate should be. One was a '37, the other a '39. Based on the ways cars have been for the last 50 years, it's hard to believe they didn't always have heat.

Buick 64c.

If you plan to add a heater to a car, that is a good reason why you should stick with a legitimate factory option for the car. The firewall will have knockouts for the water lines and center punch marks for the attachment bolts.

At least that is the case with my '38's

My 1937 was originally from Maine and never had a factory heater. Like the ones you have seen the data plate on my car was in the way when an aftermarket was installed and the data plate was bent to allow installation. Like Mark said they didn't worry about data plates that much back then.

Carl

My theory is that they did not care because they knew the ID number was on the tag on the frame and if you see the original car you knew the information that was on the plate, color trim, engine, etc. So if it was easier, just drill through the plate, or pull it off.

I guess, I am one of the lucky ones, as the heater installation did not damage the plate. Holes are elsewhere. I would say perhaps more then 50% were damaged.

John

A body data plate is only 1 small part of a car. Replacement data plates from wrecks are available at times

Dave Tachney is a possible source of these (if you can contact him: that's hard to do)

For some cars heater were fitted without damaging the data plate

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

So am I correct in saying the consensus here is you wouldn't let the lack of a data plate keep you from buying a car?

correct, becuase there is nothing in a data plate that really identifies a specific 1939 Buick, no VIN or anything like that on there, thousands of cars all had the same data plate

I would use ut as a bargaining tool, thanks for sure

replacements can be made and/or found

correct, because there is nothing in a data plate that really identifies a specific 1939 Buick, no VIN or anything like that on there, thousands of cars all had the same data plate
Model & style number are the same for all cars that style (eg style 38-4411). The body number is unique to the car. Trim & paint code vary. But if you get a replacement data plate with the correct model & style will be OK. Many cars now have different trim (upholstery) and paint compared to that when they were built.

Guest Gene P

I've had two data plates that were damaged reproduced by a gentleman in Colorado, A. G. Backeast, who advertises in numerous publications. They were absolutely PERFECT in every way. I don't "cringe" any more when I look at my firewalls! Try him; you won't be disappointed.

I've had two data plates that were damaged reproduced by a gentleman in Colorado, A. G. Backeast, who advertises in numerous publications....
Web site here http://www.datatags.com/

The Ponti data plate looks to have the number's etc punched "in". On Buick the numbers are punched out (from the back side) Would have thought all GM would use the same basic design & manufacturing method

• 1 year later...

Guys my 2nd data plate has a big "K" stamped in the upper right corner, and there is a faint sideways "2" stamped on the lower right. Any ideas what these mean?

BFBD94AF-29AC-4653-AF3C-C948D81B9394_zps

3B2C7F40-2EB0-4AD5-A124-1003C5F997D8_zps

In this thread it is mentioned a letter stamped might mean the car had a side mounted spare??? Thoughts?

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/124021-firewall-id-build-plates-mclaughlin-vs-buick/

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)